Stocking Ideas For 55g?

Flipflops82

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just cycled my 55g. I have it setup with the topfin filter it came with along with a sunsun 304b. Temps running around 78. So far I have added just 6 bloodfin tetra to slowly introduce some fish. They are active and happy and have been in the tank for 4 days now. Keep in mind I am a beginner at this only having another aquarium as a kid. But so far so good. I am a little overwhelmed on the fish choices out there and need some ideas. I have several live plants...java fern, Amazon sword, and a few anubis. I'm using ecocomplete substrate and wondering if cory can be on that?
Some other ideas I've had are: male guppies, cherry shrimp, panda cory, german blue rams, gourami, angelfish......(not all of these just fish species ideas)

Again I need some help on numbers and ideas to add to the 6 I have. I like the idea of a variety and then a few centerpiece fish.
Thanks in advance!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

Have you given any thought to keeping Rainbow fish?

Jayda97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My tank honestly sounds right up your alley! I have 5 honey gouramis, 2 bolivian rams, 8 rummynose tetras, 10 cherry barbs and 10 panda corydoras. They all get along (except potentially one of my gourami as of today because i might have 2 males not just 1 like we thought). I also wanted cherry shrimp but i dont want them to get eaten. I have mine in a 45g so since you have a 55 you could do a bigger school with your bloodfin tetras than i have with my rummynoses. Of course substitute to your hearts desire lol. But choose your centrepiece(s) and 1-2 top/mid level schoolers and a school of corys of your choice for the bottom. I chose what i did because the tetras are top middle and the barbs are middle bottom so they arent in the exact same swim column. The red of the barbs also matches the noses of the tetras

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Eco Complete is not ideal for Corys as it is jagged.

You might want to forget about keeping Corys.

Flipflops82

Reaction score
I ordered 6 cory since non of my stores here ever have them. I spoke with the breeder about those gravel and they said it's perfectly fine. What about some stocking on the rest of the tank?
On the betta sorority I may want to do a tank just for that later.

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I ordered 6 cory since non of my stores here ever have them. I spoke with the breeder about those gravel and they said it's perfectly fine. What about some stocking on the rest of the tank?
On the betta sorority I may want to do a tank just for that later.
Sooo cool! Your guppy idea would be great! Angel fish get pretty huge so that would take a bit of rook up. Maybe a honey gourami, I don't know anything about rams though. Have you thought about a school of rasbora? I love rasbora hets/harlequins!!!

Flipflops82

Reaction score
Can I do mixed schools? Like maybe do a few Male guppy? Danios? Some other breed of tetra? Along with the other fish? Are rams could for centerpiece fish that are ok in 78 degree water? My ph has been about 7.6-8.

Jayda97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can I do mixed schools? Like maybe do a few Male guppy? Danios? Some other breed of tetra? Along with the other fish? Are rams could for centerpiece fish that are ok in 78 degree water? My ph has been about 7.6-8.
yeah you can mix schools as long as they’re temperature compatible and you keep 6+ of each. Although in my opinion schools are better in 10+ groups. You also dont want a small peaceful docile school with zebra danios or they’ll just hide a lot so compare temperament as well. Id also try to avoid schools with the exact same swim column preference so nobody gets too cramped

Flipflops82

Reaction score
My blood fin tetra seem to swim all over the place since they have a 55g all to themselves so I have no idea where they are suppose to swim?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What species of cory are you getting? That will ultimately influence tankmates, since many species require different water conditions to thrive.

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You'll want it around 74/75

German Blue Rams and Angel fish thrive at warmer temperatures so I wouldn't go with them.

I think I'd go for 1 or 2 Blue Acara I can't imagine them bothering the Pandas or the Tetra. Then 5 Honey Gourami, super peaceful fun fish. Also i'd bump the tetra school to 10.

1/2 Blue Acara
5 Honey Gourami
10 Bloodfin Tetra
10 Panda Corydoras

Alternatively get 2 schools of 6 to 8 Tetra, maybe Neons or Head and Tail Light Tetra.

Plenty of activity, colour and covers the 3 layers of the tank.

Flipflops82

Reaction score
What's diff over honey gourami vs the blue ones? Also what are thoughts on a school of male fancy guppies? Or the rasboras someone mentioned?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom