Stocking ideas for 25 gallon tank

FishhNewbie

Hi all, this is my first post here so please let me know if I’ve done anything wrong!

I very recently got my first ever tank and am setting it up/starting to cycle it. I’ve done some research but I’d love to get some people’s ideas on stocking! Dimensions etc. below:

Tank: 19x16x19 inches 25gal/94l
110L filter
Heater
PH: 7.2-7.4
Total hardness: 332.5 mg/l (hard)
Planted aquarium

I did have some ideas but I am totally new to this, so welcome any thoughts even if it’s totally different from the below! I’d prefer to keep it reasonably under stocked if possible, so please let me know if I would need less livestock.

2/3 Honey Gourami (would they be ok in a taller tank like this?)
6-10 ember tetra (is the ph/hardness ok for them?)
3-6 Amano Shrimp
2 Nerite snails

I initially wanted some cherry shrimp instead of amano but I’m worried about them getting eaten by the gourami. I was interested in Pygmy or panda corys but I think the footprint of this tank might be too small for bottom-dwelling fish?

Please let me know what you think! Thank you in advance!

VioletKeepsFish

I think the Honey gouramis would be fine in your tank. As for the shrimp, I would highly doubt that Honey Gouramis would eat them. My Pearl Gouramis won't even eat shrimplets, so I doubt Honey Gouramis would mess with them as they're known to be more passive.

Upvote 0

FishhNewbie

I think the Honey gouramis would be fine in your tank. As for the shrimp, I would highly doubt that Honey Gouramis would eat them. My Pearl Gouramis won't even eat shrimplets, so I doubt Honey Gouramis would mess with them as they're known to be more passive.
Thank you for the reply! That’s good to hear about the gourami!

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your stocking sounds fine to me. Regarding bottom dwellers, have you considered Corydoras pygmaeus? They stay pretty small, and spend more time swimming higher in the water column than other corys.

Maybe yours won't but yesterday evening I scooped a cull shrimp about 1/2" long from my rili tank and moved it to the 40 breeder. I released it with the net in front of a bunch of guppy grass, but it swam out into the open tank instead of where it was safe. One of the pearls inhaled it before it had gone 6". However, you're probably right about honeys not eating them, especially if there's dense plants or a pile of small rocks for them to hide in.

Upvote 0

FishhNewbie

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your stocking sounds fine to me. Regarding bottom dwellers, have you considered Corydoras pygmaeus? They stay pretty small, and spend more time swimming higher in the water column than other corys.

Maybe yours won't but yesterday evening I scooped a cull shrimp about 1/2" long from my rili tank and moved it to the 40 breeder. I released it with the net in front of a bunch of guppy grass, but it swam out into the open tank instead of where it was safe. One of the pearls inhaled it before it had gone 6". However, you're probably right about honeys not eating them, especially if there's dense plants or a pile of small rocks for them to hide in.

Thank you very much! I’m very happy to be here! I love your suggestion of Pygmy Corys, they’re super cute and definitely seem like they’d fit in my tank! Would you think that adding 6 would fit with the rest of the stocking options or would I be overstocked? Also would they need sand or would they be ok on a nutrient-rich substrate? Sorry for the questions, thank you for taking the time to answer!

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Thank you very much! I’m very happy to be here! I love your suggestion of Pygmy Corys, they’re super cute and definitely seem like they’d fit in my tank! Would you think that adding 6 would fit with the rest of the stocking options or would I be overstocked? Also would they need sand or would they be ok on a nutrient-rich substrate? Sorry for the questions, thank you for taking the time to answer!
  • I'd go with at least 8, and I don't think 10 would be too many.
  • I've only kept corys on sand, and never used a nutrient-rich substrate. Maybe someone else can answer that. My gut feeling is that it will probably be okay, but don't make any decisions based on that.

Upvote 0

FishhNewbie

• I'd go with at least 8, and I don't think 10 would be too many.
  • I've only kept corys on sand, and never used a nutrient-rich substrate. Maybe someone else can answer that. My gut feeling is that it will probably be okay, but don't make any decisions based on that.

Ah thank you! It’s good to hear that I can add 10, I don’t want to give them too small a school! I’ll ask around in terms of the substrate. Thank you for your answer

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MisterSnuffles
20 Gallon Tank Stocking ideas
Replies
Views
Jaden
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Stocking ideas