Stocking Ideas For 24 L/2.58 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by iman350, Jun 5, 2019.

1. iman350New MemberMember

Hi all! Newbie here. Iv kept some fish before when i was wee but didn't know much sadly:(

I have now decided i want to get back into the hobby and recently bought a 24 litre tank that was on sale.

I was originally thinking a betta, but after doing some digging around online, i like the look of endler's livebearers and guppies too!

Would 5 endlers be okay in a tank this size? How many guppies can be kept( if possible?)

Im aware guppies are pretty active, so i wouldnt like for them to be in a tank of that size if its not big enough for them.

Iv seen people online
    saying 3-4 guppies is enough in a tank this size, but to not get just one female or the males will be chasing her all the time!

Would white cloud minnows be okay here? Or any tetras, or even zebra danios?

Im not fussy as to which kind of fish, tropical or cold water/temperate, but they do need to be freshwater.

What about sparkling gouramis or pea puffers? Are they difficult for beginners?

I would really appreciate some advice, thank you all!

PS- i live in Scotland, so i might be limited in my options :(

Oh!! Iv just seen I wrote 2 gallons. I meant 5 gallons! Its 5.28 gallons folk!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019
  2. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Hiya and welcome to fishlore!

In a 5g tank, a betta or a few endlers (make sure to get only males) would look nice. You could also do a shrimp/invert tank, try scarlet badis, or look into killifish!
    1 pea puffer could work, but they are harder to care for so I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner.
    Unfortunately, tetras, danios, and minnows all prefer a larger tank because they are so active and need more swimming space.

Here's a list of species suitable for a 5g that Ashenwelt put together.
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/stocking-list-for-5-gallon-nano-aquariums.272334/

3. iman350New MemberMember

Thank you so much! :)

4. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

5. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Endlers are actually one of the more active fish I've kept, moreso than tetras. Much like goldfish and guppies, they're always moving about.

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Dario darios will do great in a 5g if you add a shrimp colony for them to hunt the babies.

7. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

I suggest a 10 even 20 gallon for endlers. Or really anything other then a beta. It is harder for you to care for then, harder to find quality heaters and filters, and harder on the fish to force them to live in tiny spaces.