Stocking Ideas For 20 Gallon Long And Set Up

Gerbilybooboo

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first question on FishLore and I'm excited to run some ideas past all of you more experienced people!
I'm currently in the research stage of setting up a 20 gallon long tank. I for sure want to do live plants and I'm looking for some ideas on stocking.
I'm absolutely in love with the corydoras habrosus and I defiantly want to get a good group of those. Maybe between 8-10 since I will have space with a 20 long with a pretty large footprint for the little tiny dudes. I'd love to do even more, but I just don't really know.
I also am thinking of having a betta as my centerpiece fish. I've done quite a bit of research on having betters with peaceful tank mates, and I'd love to get more feedback from others. Especially with a 20 gallon, I think giving a betta a nice life with some friends would be a great adventure for me and the fish. They're also just so underrated and I'd love to show my friends what kind of tank a betta should have rather than a little tiny bowl.
With a betta and some bottom dwellers, I want to have some fish in the middle, too. I'm thinking of some schooling/shallowing fish since they are usually peaceful and won't mess with the betta that much. I've been researching chili rasboras, endler livebearers, and green neon tetras. I'm thinking of maybe doing some combination of those, but I don't know how many more fish I can fit in the 20 gallon long. They're all pretty small, but I want to make sure the bioload isn't too much and that they all have enough room.
One more question on substrate for the tank. With the cories, I want to get them a sand substrate so they can dig around without hurting themselves, but I also want some nutrients for the plants. I've researched a bit and found flourite black sand by Seachem to be a nutrient rich sand substrate that should be good for the plants and the cories. This is the only substrate I've found so far and I'd appreciate any suggestions or testimonials from people who have kept cories and live plants or have used this substrate.
Thanks so much for letting me run some ideas past you guys and I'm completely open to any suggestions you may have. Thank you again and I'm excited to be part of the fish community

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The corydoras habrosus and betta are not really temperature compatible. The bettas will generally need warmer water. If you decide to go with the habrosus, maybe 1 or 2 honey gourami would fill the void of a betta as a centerpiece.

My suggestion,
8 corydoras habrosus
8 celestial pearl danios
2 honey gouramis
6 amano shrimps

Gerbilybooboo

Reaction score
That sounds like a really cool tank! I am not super into shrimp or the CPDs, though. I've been doing some more research about Betta and Habrosus compatibility and according to Seriously Fish, Bettas like water 22-30 C (72-86 F) and Habrosus like 20-26 C (68-79 F). If I had the water around 25 C (77 F), would I be able to keep some Habrosus Cories and a Betta?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom