Stocking Ideas For 20 Gallon High Help 

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this whole forum thing but I just got my first 20-gallon tank (photo attached) and am looking to stock it I just don't know what is and isn't okay. I would love to do a tank with a few dwarf gouramis or blue rams, mollies, guppies, and some cleaner fish. Please if you guys could help me out and make a list of good stocking options that would be much appreciated. Thanks, guys and glad to be a part of the community!

Attachments

I like fish123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is a short list but guppies are great starters.Also, you should check out this website before getting a blue ram if you decide to

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
Bobthefishkeeper said:
This is a short list but guppies are great starters.Also, you should check out this website before getting a blue ram if you decide to
Thank you I will definitely look into that. Do you have any suggestions as far as a stocking list?

I like fish123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For a new member I would try guppies or Gouramis but cycle your tank first without the fish.Also have you looked into shrimp? Their great at cleaning algea and leftover food

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could do Gouramis. I have 2 in my 20 high, with a bunch of long fin and neon tetras as well. Good acitivty in the tank and all fish are generally harmless to eachother.

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
MAGA said:
You could do Gouramis. I have 2 in my 20 high, with a bunch of long fin and neon tetras as well. Good acitivty in the tank and all fish are generally harmless to eachother.

I have read that you are supposed to do 1 male gourami and 2 females? also how many fish do you have total in your tank. also what cleaner fish?

I like fish123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shrimp!

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wyatt Castle said:
I have read that you are supposed to do 1 male gourami and 2 females? also how many fish do you have total in your tank. also what cleaner fish?
Most people will say I'm wayy overstocked but my cycle has been stable for 6 months. I have 5 long fin tetras, 7 neons, 5 seprae tetras, 1 bristlenose pelco (cleaner),, 2 dwarf Gouramis. You don't need a cleaner fish in a 20 gal, I have it because I adopted this tank and he came with it

I plan to move up to a 40 gallon soon but for now most are juveniles still. I recently added my dwarfs 3 weeks ago.

My dwarfs are both male. You basically can't buy a female unless you go to a special pet store and request it. They only sale male's for the most part. Mine are fine together. My long Fins nip eachother but my dwarfs are the most chilling ones in the entire tank lol

Fishbeard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When talking about gouramis, stocking can be a little complicated. Here's what I would do with the info you've given so far:

Either a group of honey gouramis or 1 dwarf gourami
A group of guppies (male and female if you want babies, all males if you don't!)
Amano shrimp as cleaners
1-2 nerite snails if you're looking for something to clean algae off the glass

All the links given so far would be helpful, so I would give those a read before continuing! Good luck!

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fishbeard said:
When talking about gouramis, stocking can be a little complicated. Here's what I would do with the info you've given so far:

A group of guppies (male and female if you want babies, all males if you don't!)
Amano shrimp as cleaners

All the links given so far would be helpful, so I would give those a read before continuing! Good luck!
This is solid advice. Why only 1 dwarf though? Mine do fine together, and most people have 2 or more together..anyway this is a solid stocking options, it'll give some beautiful looking fish

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
MAGA said:
This is solid advice. Why only 1 dwarf though? Mine do fine together, and most people have 2 or more together..anyway this is a solid stocking options, it'll give some beautiful looking fish

Yeah would it be okay if i do 3 dwarf gouramis instead of the honey gouramis?

I like fish123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes

Marzahtha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dwarf Gouramis are more territorial and you will have aggression issues. They're also more likely to die (less healthy).

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
okay let me know what you guys think of this stock list? I did everything on "aqadvisor" it shows my tank at 89% stocked and 112% filtration

x3 dwarf gourami
x3 guppy
x3 amano shrimp
x2 nerite snails
x5 neon tetra

Fishbeard said:

Amano shrimp as cleaners

How many amano shrimp would you get ?

Wyatt Castle said:
How many amano shrimp would you get ?
also can you check out that post on what i came up with on aqadvisor?

philip884551

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would have guppys platys 6 cory catfish and center piece a dwarf gourami love platys really hardy fish

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
philip884551 said:
I would have guppys platys 6 cory catfish and center piece a dwarf gourami love platys really hardy fish

How many fish would you add?

philip884551

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wyatt Castle said:
How many fish would you add?
I would add 6 corys 6 guppys 3 platys and a male dwarf gourami

philip884551 said:
I would get mixed sex guppys 2 males 4/5 females trust me more fun to watch them chasing the females 1 male platy 2 females and a male dwarf gourami

philip884551 said:
Guppys I would have 2 males 4 females platys 1 male 2 females and a male dwarf gourami

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
philip884551 said:

What do you think about the list that i threw together up above?

philip884551

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't get 3 males dwarf as they will fight could try 2 but I wouldn't even risk it the shrimps might get eaten when they molt plush they don't live very long neons are pretty hard to keep due to them inbreeding they pretty prone on getting diseases snails are fine

If you do decide to get 2 males dwarfs I would watch them in the tank in the pet store for at least 20 mins and pick the two what ain't aggressive towards the others!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom