Stocking Ideas For 20 Gallon High

Hopeful Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_1987.JPG
I was wondering what other fish I could put in my tank. I have a 20 gallon high with a Tetra Whisper 10i-30i. I'm also getting a heater for my tank. My substrate is gravel and I have a planted tank. I have 4 fish in it at the moment but i'm getting rid of 3 because they are too big or will get too big which include (2 molly sailfins and a really small common pleco). I'm not removing my Dwarf Gourami from the tank. I'm adding:
8 harlequin rasboras (4 at a time each week)
I want some bottom feeders because they are cute little critters. What else could be put in my tank considering what i'm adding and removing

Here's a picture of the tank right now

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you could also add a peacock gudgeon or a bolivian ram to this stock, with what TD suggested.

Hopeful Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you could also add a peacock gudgeon or a bolivian ram to this stock, with what TD suggested.
What about 8 kuhli loaches? They're very cute!
TexasDomer don't kuhli loaches need sand to be able to live in tanks. I really want them but i've heard they can be put in gravel. Could I? I'm just wondering.
Here's what the gravel looks like

I was wondering what other fish I could put in my tank. I have a 20 gallon high with a Tetra Whisper 10i-30i. I'm also getting a heater for my tank. My substrate is gravel and I have a planted tank. I have 4 fish in it at the moment but i'm getting rid of 3 because they are too big or will get too big which include (2 molly sailfins and a really small juvenile common pleco). I'm not removing my Dwarf Gourami from the tank. I'm adding:
I want some bottom feeders because they are cute little critters. What else could be put in my tank considering what i'm adding and removing

Here's a picture of the tank right now:

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFishGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Guppies could always be an option. 3 females, 1 male.

Most eat their young and keep their population down to a nice size. Always remember to have more females than males so the girls don't get harassed too much.

Your tank is really pretty btw!!

Hopeful Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guppies could always be an option. 3 females, 1 male.

Most eat their young and keep their population down to a nice size. Always remember to have more females than males so the girls don't get harassed too much.

Your tank is really pretty btw!!
Not a fan of guppies. Way too common.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They would prefer sand, yes, but if the gravel is soft, they'll do fine.

I'd rehome that pleco - plecos are too large and have too big of a bioload for a 20 gal high.

Hopeful Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
View attachment 277961 I was wondering what other fish I could put in my tank. I have a 20 gallon high with a Tetra Whisper 10i-30i. I'm also getting a heater for my tank. My substrate is gravel and I have a planted tank. I have 4 fish in it at the moment but i'm getting rid of 3 because they are too big or will get too big which include (2 molly sailfins and a really small common pleco). I'm not removing my Dwarf Gourami from the tank. I'm adding:

Here's a picture of the tank right now
They would prefer sand, yes, but if the gravel is soft, they'll do fine.

I'd rehome that pleco - plecos are too large and have too big of a bioload for a 20 gal high.
The gravel is quite soft but I'm wondering if it's too big
Here's what it looks like up close

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The sand can't be too big. I agree, rehome the pleco....

A bolivian ram?

Hopeful Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The sand can't be too big. I agree, rehome the pleco....
I am rehoming the pleco tomorrow. And your opinion is not get the kuhli loaches with my substrate?

Bottom feeders? I love my Venezuelan Pygmy Cories (Corydoras Habrosus). I currently have 7 in my 20G long.
Don't they prefer sand since the gravel hurts their barbels.

Tell your LFS to order some shrimp for you. That's what I have mine do.

Make it worth it to them. Order 10 or so.
So how many shrimp as my bottom feeders? These will be all the bottom feeders I could get right?

runningslow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Don't they prefer sand since the gravel hurts their barbels.
Generally, yes. Sand is preferred, but I've also seen other small cories kept on smooth gravel. I kept some aspirdoras on smooth gravel for awhile, but eventually moved them onto sand when I upgrade from a 10G to a 20G tank. My 2 cents, for what its worth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom