Stocking Ideas for 20 gal tank

guppygal444

Hello!

I currently have a 20 gallon high planted tank. Right now with just two female guppies and a mystery snail.. I’m not going to rush it but eventually would like to add some more to the tank. I would like a male guppy but would that cause too much of a population fluctuation? Also considering adding a group of ottos, or galaxy danios, and some cherry or amano shrimp. Thoughts?

AquaticQueen

Hey, welcome to Fishlore! If you want to add a male guppy, I'd start by adding 1 more female. As long as your tank isn't super heavily planted or something, the babies will probably all just get eaten by the parents and you shouldn't have any population issues. If a few do survive, you could always sell them.
I'd stay away from otos, personally. From what I've heard other fish keepers say, they tend to have weak immune systems and are often diseased or at least susceptible to disease and aren't really worth the trouble. The danios would work though. I'd get 6-7 at least.
For the shrimp, I'd stay away from anything super small. They could potentially become snacks. Maybe stick to the amanos.

PurityNWhiteRoses

Guppies need to have a larger school than two or three. Maybe you could get a couple more females and get just one male to keep the population lower. A higher female to male ratio prevents LOTS of babies. You'll still get a few though. You could get some of the galaxy danios, or add in a different type of tetra (neons, embers, etc) and keep them in a school of 6-7. The same goes for the danios. You might want to get some cories to clean up the substrate. You can get 2-5 of those as well.

JeremyW

There's a good chance that your females are already pregnant. If they were ever in a tank with males, then they're almost certainly pregnant. So you may end up with more guppies for free. Maybe wait and see before getting more guppies.

I'd recommend platies. I don't always love them on their own, but mixing them in with guppies makes for a very bright and colorful display.

h20intolerant

Hey, welcome to Fishlore! If you want to add a male guppy, I'd start by adding 1 more female. As long as your tank isn't super heavily planted or something, the babies will probably all just get eaten by the parents and you shouldn't have any population issues. If a few do survive, you could always sell them.
I'd stay away from otos, personally. From what I've heard other fish keepers say, they tend to have weak immune systems and are often diseased or at least susceptible to disease and aren't really worth the trouble. The danios would work though. I'd get 6-7 at least.
For the shrimp, I'd stay away from anything super small. They could potentially become snacks. Maybe stick to the amanos.

Hello!

I currently have a 20 gallon high planted tank. Right now with just two female guppies and a mystery snail.. I’m not going to rush it but eventually would like to add some more to the tank. I would like a male guppy but would that cause too much of a population fluctuation? Also considering adding a group of ottos, or galaxy danios, and some cherry or amano shrimp. Thoughts?
I'd get a khuli loach, they are super cool and should be fine with guppies and danios. They are one of the few loaches that can go in a 20, although I wouldn't get more than 3. However, I'm not an expert so pls double check with other sources if you consider them.

AquaticQueen

I'd get a khuli loach, they are super cool and should be fine with guppies and danios. They are one of the few loaches that can go in a 20, although I wouldn't get more than 3. However, I'm not an expert so pls double check with other sources if you consider them.
In my opinion, 5-6 kuhlis would probably be fine in a 20g high. They are also schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5, preferably more.

Revan

Danios, shrimp, maybe even some tetras to go with em. Get 1 more female to go with the male if you don't end up finding any guppy fry, then add your danios of your choice. (6-7) top it off with a school of tetras (bloodfins or neons or something), or just strengthen your guppy and danio schools.

AquaticQueen

Danios, shrimp, maybe even some tetras to go with em. Get 1 more female to go with the male if you don't end up finding any guppy fry, then add your danios of your choice. (6-7) top it off with a school of tetras (bloodfins or neons or something), or just strengthen your guppy and danio schools.
Don't you think 3 separate and quite active schools of fish is a bit much for a 20g high? I don't want to sound like I know everything (I really don't) but I think the second option of strengthening the danio and guppy schools sounds like a better idea.

Tigerburp

I can’t believe no one has mentioned corys!, they are great get a group of 5 or 6 and you have a lot of activity at the bottom

Revan

Don't you think 3 separate and quite active schools of fish is a bit much for a 20g high? I don't want to sound like I know everything (I really don't) but I think the second option of strengthening the danio and guppy schools sounds like a better idea.
Not really, while guppies are social, it’s fine to keep only one guppy in a tank. I have 2 in my tank as of right now. If you get 2 more guppies and, say, 8 danios, you have room for 8-9 tetras, IMO. You could strengthen the danio shoal, but their shoaling behavior isn’t as impressive as a species like bloodfin tetras.

AquaticQueen

Not really, while guppies are social, it’s fine to keep only one guppy in a tank. I have 2 in my tank as of right now. If you get 2 more guppies and, say, 8 danios, you have room for 8-9 tetras, IMO. You could strengthen the danio shoal, but their shoaling behavior isn’t as impressive as a species like bloodfin tetras.
I have to respectfully disagree. IMO, since guppies are a social fish (like you said), in order for them to live their lives as happily as possible they should be kept in groups of at least 3-4. It is also always better to have two bigger sized schools than 3 smaller ones. If the OP had a 20 gallon long tank, I would agree with you, but due to the activity level of the fish mentioned, I personally think it would be somewhat cruel to keep three highly active species of fish in a tank with that kind of footprint.

Revan

I have to respectfully disagree. IMO, since guppies are a social fish (like you said), in order for them to live their lives as happily as possible they should be kept in groups of at least 3-4. It is also always better to have two bigger sized schools than 3 smaller ones. If the OP had a 20 gallon long tank, I would agree with you, but due to the activity level of the fish mentioned, I personally think it would be somewhat cruel to keep three highly active species of fish in a tank with that kind of footprint.
Oop, forgot it’s a high we are discussing. My bad! I have a 20 long, so I was going with my plan.

otterblue

How about 3 more guppies (1M, 2F), 6 awesome corydoras and some cherry or amano shrimp. Small fish shouldn't be able to harm the cherries - mine never have.

Then wait a bit, see how many guppy fry are surviving & if it seems like you have space you could add a school of small fish (like ember tetras or galaxy danios).

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Aunyua
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies