Stocking Ideas For 125g Aquarium

1. fishy2000

fishy2000 New Member Member

hi every one,
    I am thinking of getting a 125g freshwater tank. I had fish when I was a child but I am lost on what fish to stock this tank with.
    I was thinking of a tropical community feel. i was thinking lots of tetras, with some corydoras, and maybe a pair of brightly colored fish as a "center piece".
    any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!:)

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

You have so many options! You could go the community route, the African Cichlid route, Aspitogramma route, etc.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

My suggestion is to go to your local fish store, see what grabs your eye, and then go home and do research.

Find out if the fish you enjoy are temperature compatible and enjoy the same water parameters. What numbers they need to be happy, and any likely issues they are likely to have.

There are subforums here for many types of fish where you can ask specific questions when you have them.

4. OP
    OP
    fishy2000

I was thinking and maybe this would work,
    30-40 rummy nosed tetras
    30-40 harlequin rasboras
    1 male red better
    10-15 ______ corydoras
    would this be overstocking this tank or understocking?

5. OP
    OP
    fishy2000

also instead of the betta would I be able to have a red tail shark with the tetras, rasboras, and corydoras?

6. B

BichirKeeper84 Valued Member Member

A red tail should be fine but depending on the personality it may give your Cory cats some issues later in life

Have you taken a look at gouramis or cichlids for your centerpiece? With fish like rummynose and harlequins you would need to keep them relatively small but still plenty of options

7. OP
    OP
    fishy2000

I have not, what species would you recommend?

8. B

I think Pearl gouramis or sunset thick lip would make excellent centerpiece for rummynose and rasboras. You could also consider sine dwarf cichlids like Bolivian Rams or apistogramma. Laetacaras may also work. Keyholes would be excellent or perhaps a group of guianacaras. You don't want to go to big with those tetras and rasboras though

9. OP
    OP
    fishy2000

thank you for your input, I will think about those choices, also if I keep a trio of pearl gourami as the "center piece" should/can I have more tetras/rasboras/corydoras?

10. OP
    OP
    fishy2000

I was looking on aquaadvisor and I typed in my ideas it said that pearl gouramis are too aggressive when breeding for my schooling fish. if I do not encourage breeding will they still become too aggressive?
    by the way this is what I came up with!
    50 rummy nose tetras
    50 harlequin rasboras
    15 panda cores
    20 nerite snails
    1 pearl gourami
    I will end up with 91% stocking my 125g!

11. B

Personally I think 100 schooling fish and 125 gallon tank is a bit much. I think if you wanted a ton of fish like that I would start off with 20 or 30 of each species and then add to it later if you feel like you’ve got the room. As far as pearls being aggressive They do not have a reputation of being aggressive with her breeding or not. That being said and 125 gallon tank there should be plenty of room for the rest of the fish to escape their aggression. If you choose the pearls or any other top dweller for your centerpiece I think that gives you a little bit more room to increase your Cory cat population

12. OP
    OP
    fishy2000

thank you for your input, so you think that for the tetras/rasboras I should start with 30 each and like 20-25 for the corys?
    also I was fiddling around with aqadvisor when I thought of this grouping, I love red tails so this would be a great combo for me.
    60 tiger barbs
    1 red tail black shark
    15 nerite snails (large ones)