Stocking Ideas For 10g Betta Tank

Troyee219

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 10 gallon tank with a blue betta, just wanted some ideas since I can't choose what I want

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mystery Snails would be nice. And they come in different colors to match your Betta. Celestial Pearl Danios would be pretty. If you want to go the fish route, every Betta seems to react differently to having neighbors. I myself want to get some Pygmy Cories for one of my Betta tanks. Some people say shrimp, which looks great, but I've found my Bettas pick on the shrimp too much and stress them out. I do have a couple of African Dwarf Frogs in with one of my Bettas though and they don't bother each other. I also have Mystery Snails and Ramshorns in my Betta tanks. There are tons of options. Obviously for a 10 gallon you will want to go with some type of nano fish if you choose fish, and make sure that they are compatible beforehand by doing some research.

Troyee219

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was thinking of 6 harlequin rasbora or 6 cherry barbs but the barbs might nip at him, I wish I could get some adfs but where I live the sale of amphibians are prohibited so I can only get them online and i can't order online right now but here's one stock I was thinking of 8 rasbora and 4-5 smaller species corys like Julii's or Pygmies or 8 of something else but me being my age I can't seem to decide what I want lol so I wanted to get some ideas

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would stay away from the Barbs myself, but that's just based on my personal experience with their fin nipping. That's a shame about the frogs, they are pretty cute. Though they are meant to be in brackish water not fresh. It shortens their lifespan, so pretty sad about that, as I didn't know that before mine were given to me. The rasboras would work though. I've never had those, but heard they are good with Bettas. I love the look of the Julii Cories, but I think they are too big for a 10 gallon. I would stick with the Pygmies for that size setup.

Troyee219

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would stay away from the Barbs myself, but that's just based on my personal experience with their fin nipping. That's a shame about the frogs, they are pretty cute. Though they are meant to be in brackish water not fresh. It shortens their lifespan, so pretty sad about that, as I didn't know that before mine were given to me. The rasboras would work though. I've never had those, but heard they are good with Bettas. I love the look of the Julii Cories, but I think they are too big for a 10 gallon. I would stick with the Pygmies for that size setup.
Yea I'll think some more thanks for the suggestions though!

Troyee219

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok i just got some things for the 10g i got 7 harlequin rasboras, a small 1.5 in bristlenose (will go in my 40g when it grows a bit) and i will maybe get some smaller bottom feeders (pygmy corys) or some ghost shrimp

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How fun. I would probably just stick with what you have for now since it's just a 10g. The Harlequin Rasboras can reach 2 inches and with 7 of those, your Betta, and a BN Pleco you are already beyond maxed out. Plecos contribute a lot of waste to the tank, even the smaller ones. You are on the right track with having a plan to move him to a larger setup when needed. I wouldn't add shrimp with the Betta as the Betta would harass them to death in most cases. And, as I said before, you are already maxed out with inhabitants, so the Pygmies would have been awesome before, but not sure if you really have room for them now. Maybe someone else can give their input. But glad you finally got some more goodies for your tank. Just keep up on your water changes and plan on moving the Pleco sooner, rather than later!

Top Bottom