Stocking Ideas 75 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by gandalf1420, Aug 23, 2019.

1. gandalf1420

gandalf1420Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    So my tank stocking is currently:

6 serpaes (will be getting 6 more)
    3 firemouths
    1 angelfish
    1 kribensis
    1 pictus (will be getting 1-2 more).

So. I ran this through aqadvisor and I have some more room, even with 6 more serpaes and another pictus or two. I'm looking for either mid-sized, peaceful fish, (no more angels, I'm tired of how fragile they are, I think I got lucky with this one), or schooling fish that won't give my angels grief (I'm already having mild problems with the serpaes and that's why I'm getting more). A big, active fish could be nice too.

2. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    Try some black phantom Tera same size at the serpae and/or apistogramma cacatouides

3. PirateKingJoe

PirateKingJoeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Madagascar rainbows are my go to for 75 gallons. A dojo loach would be cool too

4. OP
    OP
    gandalf1420

Ratings:
    +19
    I'm good with the pictus for bottom feeders, but the rainbows could be cool. Maybe a school of those black tetras...what about gouramis? Also would a frog work in here or would he be a problem?
    If I moved the angel, which I think I might do because I'm setting up a 36 pretty soon that'll just have some peaceful livebearers in it, could a gt/jd/convict work in here?

5. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    Sparkling gouramis are good ....idk about the second question

6. OP
    OP
    gandalf1420

Ratings:
    +19
    I have a 75, currently with:
    3 FMs
    6 Serpaes
    1 Krib
    1 Pictus.

I want to put in:
    1 Pictus
    6 Serpae
    1 Blue Acara
    1 Senegal Bichir (note, will move the serpaes when stuff gets bigger, right now it's fine)
    2 Jewel Cichlids.

Will this work, is it overstocked, is this going to cause any territorial issues? The serpaes/bichir thing I know will be a problem but I am moving the serpaes to a livebearer tank that I'm planning on setting up. May put some danios or something...we'll see. But this is a definite stocking I want to have.

7. fishpersonallday

fishpersonalldayNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    2 years
    I say only have one jewel because, talking about 75 gallons, it sounds big but once you put in cichlids its kind of like oh shoot what have I done lol.
    I only have three cichlids in my 75 and I feel overstocked sometimes. Kind of weird I know.
    With cichlids like jewel I wouldn't put any schooling fish in with them…that's my opinion there might be someone else who thinks it's ok and thinks it could keep down aggression but I think they would just be taken out personally.

Bichir should be fine with cichlids and again shouldn't be with schooling fish because they probably will be gulped while sleeping. Bichir with pictus catfish? Bichir might be territorial when it becomes an adult so I would not add another catfish.

I'm not going to lie I'm not sure how the other cichlids will do with the kribs because I know kribs are kind of tough but not compared to the jewels and blue acara.

What does FM stands for? sorry lol.

8. OP
    OP
    gandalf1420

Ratings:
    +19
    FM is fire mouth. I put in the acara, another pictus, 1 jewel and the bichir before I saw this. Right now everything seems to be fine. The bichir's tiny, maybe an inch, hides under a rock all the time, does come out to feed. My pictus are currently hiding in separate flower pots, not sure why. One has ich, raising the temp to deal with that, but he's swimming around ok. The other one's really fat, but I fed them brine shrimp this morning and the pictus went crazy, so I think that's just food. The krib's a jerk, pushes the Firemouths around, will occasionally pick on the cats but they get out of the way and it's over. It was worse when I introduced the first one, now they've settled down. The acara's really peaceful, the fire mouths were giving it a hard time earlier but again they're fine now.
    Will the bichir become more active? I know they're kind of a sedentary fish but he literally found the biggest rock with the most hiding space and wedged himself into the back. The krib was really bothering him before that though...maybe that's part of it.
    Advice?