Stocking Idea

1. Special Initiate Member

So my new 33 gal tank is in the process of being cycled now. In the meanwhile, I've been researching what type of fish I am hoping to stock it with. I've decided on going with larger numbers of smaller fish than a few larger fish.

I have an Aquaclear 200 filter, and will have two 150 watt heaters. Additionally I will also have a fizzy bar.

With that in mind, and the info from the caresheets on the website. This is what I'm thinking so far:

1 Siamese Algae Eater
    6 Cherry Barbs
    8 Guppies (2M, 6F)
    6 Cardinal Tetra

As always feedback, comments and/or suggestions welcome!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sounds like a fun tank..but I would drop one of the male guppies ..or pick up another female...they can be terrors if not stocked right ....

3. Special Initiate Member

Okay, sounds good Shawnie! I'll do that.

I'm still playing around... maybe I'll keep the other tank as a betta and friends tank...

So many choices! This is fun! :p

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

fun and so very addictive :) enjoy!

5. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Sounds like fun. Be prepared for many many fry............

6. Special Initiate Member

Okay, NEW idea. Instead of a breeding tank, I'm thinking:

It's slightly bigger than 10 gal, probably 12ish?

1 male betta (already have)
    5 red cherry shrimp
    6 endler male

I have a Elite Mini A-130 filter for this tank and 50 watt heater. Do you think this would be overstocked?

As for the 33 gal:

1 Siamese Algae Eater (already have, he's in with the betta now)
    6 Cherry Barbs
    4 Guppies (1M, 3F)
    6 Cardinal Tetras

Not sure what else. I was thinking a Sparkling Gourami? Dwarf Gourami? Female bettas?

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

as far as your 10g, bettas are iffy with anything else in their tank..and you dont have a back up tank if he is mean do you? he will go after the shrimp eventually(they love them to snack on) and he would be too stressed IMO with the endlers....bettas just do not make good community fish....males of females...they like more interaction with humans not other fish....

how are you cycling the 33 g?

8. Special Initiate Member

Oh okay. I will leave the betta alone then.

I'm cycling the 33 g fishless :);hf) with fish food. I've seeded it with half of the already established tank's sponge filter, fizzy-bar, a few plants and rocks. I don't have my test kit yet (I thought I was going to find it under the tree this morning but didn't... though I did get some money so I'll buy one when I'm in town next. The water has looked a little whitish and cloudy recently so I'm hoping that is from a bacterial bloom. I've kept up with the fish food so the bacteria doesn't starve. Am I on the right track?

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww that stinks about the test kit..but whahooo on buying one yourself!!

fish food works, it just leaves a ton of waste at the bottom which can cause algae issues..if you can, get a piece of raw shrimp and just put it in a net and leave it there..then you dont have to add daily, or have the waste at the bottom of the tank...the cloudyness could be from the bacteria bloom or leftover waste getting built up ...do you see a ton of food on the bottom? if so, use a turkey baster and just remove a bit of it...and also, if going fishless, crank up that heater...warmer water cycles faster ;)

10. Special Initiate Member

Yes, I'm excited to test my water parameters!

I'll actually have to pick up the heaters when I go in town next as well. I just bought the tank on Sunday and it came with everything but a heater (probably kept it for his upgraded 50 gal tank). I'm going to go with two 150 watt heaters that a friend is selling at a decent price.

As for the ammonia source - I'm not a big fan of shrimp so I don't really want to buy a package of frozen shrimp. I read that piece of raw fish will work though?

The fish food is beginning to build up on the bottom. I should remove it when I put the piece of raw fish in then?

11. Special Initiate Member

New Idea for 33 gal:

310.jpg

and the SAE from the 10 gal tank.

I think it would be a pretty colourful tank!

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I can't find endlers around here. I'm jealous you have them available...

13. Special Initiate Member

Meenu, I'm actually not sure if they are available here either. I do not recall ever seeing them in the LPS that I usually buy from. It has been a while since I've been there however, so I will visit in the next few days just to see what they do have available. I may need to re-vamp my "stocking list" again.

Besides doing that, which I really do not mind as I have fun researching and looking at all the fish, I must wait for my tank to cycle... :whistling:

Do you think a few female bettas (maybe 5?) in a community tank would be alright? Or better to leave them alone too?

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts to save some space. There is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you may use for corrections and additional thoughts, should there not be any responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken

14. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

female bettas together is hit or miss, but i wouldn't even suggest trying it unless you get sisters from a breeder that haven't been separated. even then i would definitely make sure you've got a backup in case it doesn't work out. i have sisters in a community tank, and even they fight sometimes, especially if i re-arrange the tank :)