Stocking Idea?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Arades, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Arades

AradesValued MemberMember

Hello there,

I have just set up a 5.5 gallon tank and a 55 gallon tank. There already cycled as i used cycled media and substrate. Any stocking ideas are free. For the 55 is there any cichlids i could get that would be happy in there? Thanks.

2. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

You might want to throw dimensions and your water type for cichlids. But ... There are many cichlids that would love a 55 g.

Also might want to throw in comments on what you are looking for. Single species, single fish, many species, etc.

Oh and what are you doing in the 5.5? That can be really fun.

3. OP
    OP
    Arades

Oh, the 5.5 is gonna be a shrimp tank :) and the 55 is 48 x 13 x 21 and i want many more than single.

4. ashenwelt

What type of water are you using for it? RO or tap? What are the parameters? Sometimes its just easier to plan a tank based on what you have setup. Also are you using an adjustable heater or is a pre-set kind?

And lastly, when you say Cichlid, what style pops into your head? Like a Sevrum or Apistogramm or Oscar or Shellie or yellow lab or discus or angel? Many types. Peaceful or aggressive. Hybrids or natives? Lots of questions when it comes to Cichlids.

These can help us find you your dream tank occupants.

PS - Love cichlids. Cannot wait the 13 months before I start building my fish room.

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I'd do this: (for the 55 of course)
    8 rock kribs  
    12 australian rainbowfish
    12 skunk loaches
    5 pearl gouramis

6. OP
    OP
    Arades

Im not sure if the tank is too small but id like african cichlids. The water is hard. The temp is 78.

7. ashenwelt

In a 55? I would consider Dwarf Mbuna personally. You could get at least 10 in there and have some action. You are closer to the upper range IMHO for temp, but I think in safe zone. May get @TexasDomer in here... she is a heavy Cichlid person from what I have noticed. I more am into New World cichlids:)

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'm not good with African rift lake cichlids, but you can do something other than dwarf mbunas in a 55 gal.

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yeah, you could do electric yellows or other mbuna of a similar size, like auratus, etc...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice