Stocking idea...

1. Vickygude1510 Member Member

Hi guys,
    Im currently running a 200l tank with a fluval u4 filter and a 24w uv steriliser. About a month and a half ago 99% of tank got wiped out due to a really nasty strain of white spot
    So now im starting to restock.
    I currently have;
    2 honey gourami
    2 platys
    2 small bristlenose plecs
    6 rummy nose tetra
    I was just wondering about adding any more bottom feeders, i was thinking 6 corys and i would like to add another rtbs but its ok if not. Just tossing some ideas about.
    My current parameters are
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrites
    20 nitrates
    Ph is about 7.4.
    The bottom dimensions are 100cm x 40cm. Cheers guys.

2. Airth Member Member

I personally wouldn't add corries with the 2 BNs in there. Not only will the plecos add a lot of waste, but they'll slo take up much of the bottom area of your tank. Maybe rehome one and replace with corries?

I also wouldn't do a Red Tail Black Shark. Minimum tank size is roughly 55 US gallons for these guys and you're a bit on the small side. Depending on your stocking, the shark could end up harassing the plecos/ corries if there isn't enough space for it to mark out a territory.

Perhaps look at adding another mid/ top schooling fish? Cherry barbs add nice color to the tank. Males are a bright red while females are a lovely brown-ish gold. They're rather peaceful and I've not experienced any nipping with mine.

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah 2 pleco's in a 40 inch tank is a bit overkill imo but it's doable. I'd say you can still do a small school of cories or kuhli loaches. I'd probably opt for kuhli loaches instead because they don't require as much room. I'd do about 10. They (as do cories) prefer sand but if you have gravel, as long as it's not sharp it should be fine. I'd probably up the numbers of rummy nose and either up the number of honey gourami or platy. You may still have room for another mid dwelling school like tetras, rasboras, or some type of barbs (agree with Airth cherry barbs are great).

I'd say you could do a pair of dwarf cichlids as well. To me the cichlids that would look great in this tank would be bolivian rams or keyholes. I would not do a shark in this tank.

4. Vickygude1510 Member Member

I was just thinking of a shark as i had one before in there but she died from the whitespot as did the 4 clown loaches that were in there. The shark i had was so peaceful and easy going but another one could be totally different i know, i currently have some black sand in the bottom of my tank so that it is easier on any bottom fish. Im upping my rummys to about 12 but not for another week or 2 as ive just added the 6 rummys and 2 bn, dont want to have to many to quick. Im adding a couple of rams also. Maybe the kuhli loach are a good idea..

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Kuhli's are great little fish and some of my favorite. You'll want a good number of them so they feel comfortable enough to come out and play. They also like shaded areas and hiding places. One of the best new hiding places I found recently for them was a piece of driftwood I bought on ebay. There is an ebay seller in alaska that sells "worm eaten" driftwood that has little holes all through the driftwood. Well let me tell you the kuhli's love that. Shaded areas are also good whether that is from plants or just overhangs on other ornaments, or actual caves

6. Vickygude1510 Member Member

Awesome ive got some driftwood that i havent put in yet....maybe ill drill some little holes for some khulis, ive got tonnes of hiding spaces i think i buy a new cave or plant everytime i go out lol i spoil them if its not that its new treats.

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Don't feel obligated to drill little holes for them. They don't need it. They'll be perfectly happy with any hiding place or shaded area. I just recently added that new piece and found it funny that they were all hanging around that little piece of driftwood and exploring all the little holes.