Stocking Idea Of African Chiclid Tank

1. S

Souvik Sarkar New Member Member

My tank size 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft.I want to start a new african chiclid tank.kindly give me some stocking idea about this.How many fish & What type of fish I keep there.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Would you like mbunas, peacocks, or haps?

3. OP
    OP
    S

yes i like both of them.

kindly suggest some stocking idea (peacock,Hap)....

4. KinsKicks

When it comes to stocking the cichlid tanks, you want to overstock in order to spread the aggression. For a 65g, stick with 3-4 groups of 5-7 to get around 15-28 of them; keep in mind of the sizes however. You can't have 28, 6/7-inch fish all in one tank. If you work with mbunas, you can actually "fit more" as they reach a smaller size than the peacocks or haps.

So this should give you a rough outline in choosing what you want (it's hard to give you an exact stocking as selecting these cichlids are all really up to your taste!). You can do all males (your tank meets the minimum to do so), but you could stock 4-5 females per male "type" in order to really bring out their behavior and color; but you always run the idea of having breeding or cross breeding (which you may not want). Feel free to research and come back with a list you like, and we can tell you a bit more information on them and whether they would work or not

You also don't want to mix; it's better to keep them species only in one tank. You'll also want TONS of extra filtration because of the stocking you are doing, as well as additional water changes during the week to keep up with the amount of nitrates that are going to be produced.

5. OP
    OP
    S

I Understand this but although give me some suggetion about stocking idea.I preffer small to medium size chiclid.Kindly share your view if you started a 65 gallon aquarium.It will very helf full to me.

my aquarium size 4ft x1.5ft x1.5ft.I have plan an african chiclid tank.kindly suggest some stocking idea.preferable fish size medium to small.

6. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

Depends on what you want.

What lake? Tanganyika, Malawi or Victoria.

There are so many it just depends on what you want. Mbuna, Peacocks, Haps, shellies etc

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd suggest this:
    8 Haplochromis sauvagei (2 males, 6 females)
    12 giant danios
    3 three spot gouramis

8. OP
    OP
    S

Mbuna tank stocking idea.

9. KinsKicks

Do 1 male to 4 females

-Iodotropheus sprengerae (who doesn't love a rusty?)
    -Labeotropheus fuelleborni (For a splash of blue)
    -Pseudotropheus saulosi (females will give a nice yellow addition)

One of my favorite mixes that have a nice combo of the colors and patterns. This also avoids the problem of them possibly picking on another species due to external similarities

10. OP
    OP
    S

how many fish i put into my aquarium.just 5 or more.

11. KinsKicks

Oh no! Shoot for 15-20 :). (Do 1 male per 4 females of that particular species; an additional female or two is ok). This helps spread the aggression in the tank, hence the overstocking.

You will want very awesome filtration; mbunas like a clean tank and with the extra bioload, you are going to need it as well as larger water changes to keep up with the nitrates.

12. OP
    OP
    S

can i keep above 3 species both?if i put 1 male 3 female then it is problem or not?Can i add clown loach?

13. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

I wouldn't Mbuna are more aggressive will prob kill it.

On Sexing and getting 1/4 ratio will be tuff unless you buy them as adults from a breeder. You will most likely get Juivs and those can't really be vented/sexed till adult hood.

But check Peacocks out too. Mbuna are Rock fish all they do is hang in rocks and chase. Peacocks actually swim a bit. Both are fun though.