Stocking idea for 75 gallon

GMZner

Reaction score
Upgraded my 29g hex to a 75g, any stocking ideas for me?

So far I have:
1x male dwarf gourami / 2x female dwarf gourami
10x neon tetras
10x rummynose tetras
8x peppered corydora

Tank will be 40% planted and 60% sand. It's still in its early stages. Picture attached.

More DGs? More schooling fishes? A larger fish for centrepiece? Shoot me your suggestions!

Attachments

emilyyyyy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally would instead of doing 10 neons and 10 rummynose tetras, 20+ of either species. This would let them school even better, and interact really well in your tank. In my opinion, rummynose tetras are one of the best schoolers, so it would be beautiful in a tank the size of yours to have more of them. I love dwarf gouramis, but since they aren’t super big being the centerpiece fish, I would get more of them (if that’s a fish you are really set to get) because with my experience, they are much less shy in groups. The peppered cories would do great with both species, so that seems like a great choice :)

OP
GMZner

GMZner

Reaction score
Michelle2468135 said:
If you add in more plants and hides you could add in some more gourami. You could also look into kuhli loaches depending on your tank temperature.
I plan to add more plants, but only on the area behind the rocks... will that be enough? Or should I expand my planted area?

OP
GMZner

GMZner

Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
I personally would instead of doing 10 neons and 10 rummynose tetras, 20+ of either species. This would let them school even better, and interact really well in your tank. In my opinion, rummynose tetras are one of the best schoolers, so it would be beautiful in a tank the size of yours to have more of them. I love dwarf gouramis, but since they aren’t super big being the centerpiece fish, I would get more of them (if that’s a fish you are really set to get) because with my experience, they are much less shy in groups. The peppered cories would do great with both species, so that seems like a great choice :)
I like the idea of adding more dwarf gouramis... just concerned about aggression. Any idea how much more I can add?

OP
GMZner

GMZner

Reaction score
FishBoy101 said:
I think there could be more tetra, 15 of each sounds better.
I might consider this route too. I love seeing big school of fishes whenever I go to my LFS... my buddy told me I could get better schooling behaviour if I add some larger fishes tho. They used to school nicely with my gouramis but now they feel comfortable with them and don't care anymore!

emilyyyyy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GMZner said:
I like the idea of adding more dwarf gouramis... just concerned about aggression. Any idea how much more I can add?
If you add more females, and keep the amount of males very low (maybe just 2), you could have maybe 6-7 total? I would double check what you end up choosing on aqadvisor.com. It's a very helpful website and doesn't use the misleading inch per gallon method of stocking. I hope all goes well :)

New Threads