Stocking Idea for 10 gallon(lightly planted) with (new) betta

JChoh

I’m planning to stock a standard 10 gallon tank. I want a center piece fish (betta) with a small livebearer school. I’m wondering what options I can put with small betta?. As I don’t want any eaten fish.

Attachments

• 7A744A3B-2287-49A8-87AB-F719F0DFEF8D.jpeg
    7A744A3B-2287-49A8-87AB-F719F0DFEF8D.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 37

Spudsssy

Group of 6 endlers would be best. Some betta's just don't like tank mates so keep an eye on them... iv never had issues with endlers but iv always mixed betta's with other fish in a 20gal.

Upvote 0

betta06

nerate snails make great tank mates and i am trying some cherry or amano shrimp with mine

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Looking at how the tank is decorated I don’t think Livebearers will be the best option. There’s not really any places for the Livebearers to get away from the betta if they need to. I would suggest trying shrimp and nerite snails.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Looking at how the tank is decorated I don’t think Livebearers will be the best option. There’s not really any places for the Livebearers to get away from the betta if they need to. I would suggest trying shrimp and nerite snails.
In a tank like that, I think inverts would be the best answer. Considering how little space there is for shrimp to hide, I would suggest a nerite or two.

Upvote 0

JChoh

Are there any plants I can use to help cover livebearers?

Upvote 0

gms38

I like water wisteria for my livebearers.
20210225_104107.jpg It spreads very quickly, it can be rooted or will float. It has larger leaves too.Here is some with my baby guppies and platies. Since bettas are slow swimmers, you might consider lively danios in your tank. I believe I had a betta once who nipped at a fancy male guppy. But bettas all have different personalities.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

Yes agreed. I didn't look at the picture. Snails shrimp would be best

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Are there any plants I can use to help cover livebearers?
Water wisteria is a good one. I still don’t really think it’s a good idea in that size tank, but adding more plants will help.

Upvote 0

JChoh

Water wisteria is a good one. I still don’t really think it’s a good idea in that size tank, but adding more plants will help.
Thank you for the advice

Upvote 0

Madchild57

I’m planning to stock a standard 10 gallon tank. I want a center piece fish (betta) with a small livebearer school. I’m wondering what options I can put with small betta?. As I don’t want any eaten fish.
I need to make my customary sales pitch for peacock gudgeons. As long as you don't have your heart set on shrimp, they're fantastic and very unique fish.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

I need to make my customary sales pitch for peacock gudgeons. As long as you don't have your heart set on shrimp, they're fantastic and very unique fish.

I tried this in 8gal... Super heavily planted. The betta didn't bother the peacocks... However the peacocks started breeding and attacked the betta.

Upvote 0

Madchild57

I tried this in 8gal... Super heavily planted. The betta didn't bother the peacocks... However the peacocks started breeding and attacked the betta.
Ah yeah they get mean when breeding, just get all females no problem.

Upvote 0

JustAFishServant

I would highly suggest making the tank heavily-planted, especially if you want a Betta! They hail from vast, densely-planted blackwater lakes, ponds, ditches, and rice paddies, after all!

Now, I now I'm biased, but I would recommend getting a female Betta! They're personalities are very different from males; faster, more personable (most of the time), and even more dancy! They're just as beautiful in my opinion, with Long-Finned Females having longer tails than some males! Female Betta splendens are a lot like African Cichlids; highly aggressive when they're alone to the point where they could easily kill another fish (I've had this happen with my BFF, "best finned friend", Bluestar). They do just fine alone, but if you ever want to add them into a sorority or community, they will tear everyone apart.

If you set up the tank properly, adding the tankmates a few weeks beforehand, you can add her without aggression. It allows the others to get accustomed to their territory, making it much less likely for the Betta to think this is her area only. Keep a close eye (female Bettas are ruthless!), making sure everyone is getting along.

Now, as for tankmates, I suggest Endler's Livebearers, Ember Tetras, Micro Rasboras, Neocaridina, Snails, or Dwarf/Pygmy Corydoras (don't choose Pygmy for male Bettas, as they're too boisterous for them). If you have a particularly peaceful girl, try Sparkling Gouramis! They're beautiful little things with a ton of personality!

Hopefully this helps! Keep us updated on how your setup is going

Upvote 0

MasterPython

I don't really recommend a school of little fish with a betta in a tank that size. I did it with some harilquin rasboras and while they did not get eaten or harass my betta they were not happy fish until the betta passed away. In the days after they went from schooling tight and hiding to chasing each other and almost spawning.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fishy69
  • Question
Replies
Views
CobyCollins0215
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Stocking Ideas?