Stocking help

1. soccermatt Member Member

Hi,

I have recently set up at 12.5 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium, with heater, air pump, and a 20 gallon filter.

Once my tank has finished cycling i was thinking of putting in maybe 4 cherry barbs (and i was wondering what male to female ratio i should put them in), then maybe after they are happy and settled, 3 platies (maybe mickey mouse).

I was thinking i would like one more fish to add in, but i don't know what it should be that would also work with my space requirements.

Thanks

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    I've never had barbs, so I can't help you there. But remember that platys are prolific breeders, and you WILL have fry if you mix males & females. :)

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, go with male platies only. Females can come to you already pregnant.

You could add 2 male guppies to the mix, or maybe 3 panda cories. You want to be careful not to overstock, but I think you'll be fine...

4. soccermatt Member Member

do you know if rainbow fish (maybe austrainlian rainbow fish would be a good addition), or maybe gourami's, or would i be full with 2-3 platies and 4 cherry barbs

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think 2-3 platies, 4 cherry barbs, and a dwarf gourami sounds like a beautiful tank. I don't have barbs, but I think the cherries and a DG will get along. Someone should be along shortly with more info for you on their compatibility.

6. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I think the dwarf gourami is iffy, they barbs are very active and gouramis are sometimes stressed by fast moving fish like that

7. soccermatt Member Member

thanks, do you know of any other freshwater tropical fish that are happy alone, without more of their same kind instead of the dwarf gourami