Stocking help

1. s

soccermatt Member Member

Hi,

I have recently set up at 12.5 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium, with heater, air pump, and a 20 gallon filter.

Once my tank has finished cycling i was thinking of putting in maybe 4 cherry barbs (and i was wondering what male to female ratio i should put them in), then maybe after they are happy and settled, 3 platies (maybe mickey mouse).

I was thinking i would like one more fish to add in, but i don't know what it should be that would also work with my space requirements.

Thanks

2. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    I've never had barbs, so I can't help you there. But remember that platys are prolific breeders, and you WILL have fry if you mix males & females. :)

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, go with male platies only. Females can come to you already pregnant.

You could add 2 male guppies to the mix, or maybe 3 panda cories. You want to be careful not to overstock, but I think you'll be fine...

4. OP
    OP
    s

soccermatt Member Member

do you know if rainbow fish (maybe austrainlian rainbow fish would be a good addition), or maybe gourami's, or would i be full with 2-3 platies and 4 cherry barbs

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think 2-3 platies, 4 cherry barbs, and a dwarf gourami sounds like a beautiful tank. I don't have barbs, but I think the cherries and a DG will get along. Someone should be along shortly with more info for you on their compatibility.

6. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I think the dwarf gourami is iffy, they barbs are very active and gouramis are sometimes stressed by fast moving fish like that

7. OP
    OP
    s

soccermatt Member Member

thanks, do you know of any other freshwater tropical fish that are happy alone, without more of their same kind instead of the dwarf gourami