50 Gallon Tank Stocking Help!

newclassic1

Hey guys!

Going to be upping my game soon with a Juwel Rio 180L (47G) tank and I'm in the middle of researching what to stock it with.

I have soft water in my area, GH is 120ppm (6dGH), pH 7.5 so keeping it around that when choosing/researching.

I want colour and lots of movement in this tank as it's going in our living room so I'm thinking of going with:

2 Bolivian Rams
2 Angelfish*
12 Harlequin Rasboras
12 Bronze/Peppered Corys (6 each type)

OR

2 Bolivian Rams
1 Angelfish*
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Cardinal Tetras
12 Bronze/Peppered Corys (6 each type)

What do you think of either of these configurations? Am I close to fully stocked in these or is there wiggle room for bigger numbers of each species?

I have 6 bronze corys in my 54L right now so thinking of rehoming them first into the new 180L when the time comes. Then I'll just buy 6 of the peppered.

Don't be afraid to throw alternative suggestions/advice my way and let me know what you got working in your 180L. I'm only fishkeeping 6 months now so this is a big upgrade from the 54L for me and I want it to work!

*I'm a bit hesitant about the Angelfish as they can grow quite big and can be nippy but would still like at least 1 if it could work at all?

Looking forward to your advice! Thanks!

Leeman75

Only my opinion, but this is what I would do staying with the same fish:

2 Bolivians
1 Angel (added while young and small)
10 Rasboras
6-8 Cardinals
8-9 of one type of Cory

Upvote 0

newclassic1

Only my opinion, but this is what I would do staying with the same fish:

2 Bolivians
1 Angel (added while young and small)
10 Rasboras
6-8 Cardinals
8-9 of one type of Cory
Thanks for the suggestions!

I like the idea of having rasboras and cardinals as schooling fish with the rams and angel being the feature. Corys at the bottom then.

Guess the angel by himself/herself and not a pair would be the safer bet to avoid problems as they mature!

I've kept rasboras and obviously the corys. Done some solid research on rams and angels. Now its time to dig into the cardinal tetras

Thanks for the help! I've noted your suggestion.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Thanks for the suggestions!

I like the idea of having rasboras and cardinals as schooling fish with the rams and angel being the feature. Corys at the bottom then.

Guess the angel by himself/herself and not a pair would be the safer bet to avoid problems as they mature!

I've kept rasboras and obviously the corys. Done some solid research on rams and angels. Now its time to dig into the cardinal tetras

Thanks for the help! I've noted your suggestion.

I probably should explain some of why I suggested. As someone who has struggled with the line of making sure enough food gets to the bottom dwellers versus overfeeding and leading to algae, I think so many Cories along with the Rams would perhaps not easily get food from multiple Angels (voracious eaters) and so many top dwellers. At least, not without toeing the line of overfeeding.

I speak from experience. My Angels and Bolivians (and most SA Cichlids) will eat anything that I try to target feed the bottom dwellers specifically (algae rounds, fresh vegetables, etc.).

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Not too familiar with angels but in addition to them I definitely think you can do a pair of Rams, 10 corys, and 20 harlequins or cardinals. I personally think having one type of schooling fish and Cory looks better, but just my opinion. Sounds like a cool tank

Upvote 0

newclassic1

I probably should explain some of why I suggested. As someone who has struggled with the line of making sure enough food gets to the bottom dwellers versus overfeeding and leading to algae, I think so many Cories along with the Rams would perhaps not easily get food from multiple Angels (voracious eaters) and so many top dwellers. At least, not without toeing the line of overfeeding.

I speak from experience. My Angels and Bolivians (and most SA Cichlids) will eat anything that I try to target feed the bottom dwellers specifically (algae rounds, fresh vegetables, etc.).
Oh believe me I've faced the same dilemma on a smaller scale with corys and a betta that's an absolute pig. So now I use a plastic tube to funnel food down to the substrate for them, keeping it away from being targeted as it sinks haha.

Upvote 0

newclassic1

Not too familiar with angels but in addition to them I definitely think you can do a pair of Rams, 10 corys, and 20 harlequins or cardinals. I personally think having one type of schooling fish and Cory looks better, but just my opinion. Sounds like a cool tank
Yeah i agree. I've had harlequins before so I have a fondness for them. Guess a nice big school of them would be unmissable really

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Yeah i agree. I've had harlequins before so I have a fondness for them. Guess a nice big school of them would be unmissable really
Definitely. In my 40 gallon I had about 12 of them, I decided to up it to 20 it was amazing how much more striking it looks! I’m a big fan of harlequins as well

Upvote 0

newclassic1

Definitely. In my 40 gallon I had about 12 of them, I decided to up it to 20 it was amazing how much more striking it looks! I’m a big fan of harlequins as well
In that case I think I'll go big on the harlequins then only had 6 in my last tank.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Oh believe me I've faced the same dilemma on a smaller scale with corys and a betta that's an absolute pig. So now I use a plastic tube to funnel food down to the substrate for them, keeping it away from being targeted as it sinks haha.

Yeah, that's an interesting thought. I would give that a try but my two 4+" Acaras and five 2.5" Rainbow Cichlids will go right to the substrate to grab food, so it's not just a matter of getting it to the bottom, but also keeping them away from it until the Cories wander their way over to it!

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I'd love to see that many Harlequins for sure!!

Upvote 0

redmare

I would say 1 angel would be a safer bet either way. How tall is your tank? I wouldn't do any angels in less than an 18 inch tank. I think you can do bigger schools of your midwater fish, but I recommend picking one, and definitely only do one kind of cory.
I would do:
1 angel
2 bolivian rams
18 cardinals OR harlequins
12 bronze OR peppered cories
and then if you wanted, you could do a BN pleco. I love those little buddies!

Upvote 0

newclassic1

I would say 1 angel would be a safer bet either way. How tall is your tank? I wouldn't do any angels in less than an 18 inch tank. I think you can do bigger schools of your midwater fish, but I recommend picking one, and definitely only do one kind of cory.
I would do:
1 angel
2 bolivian rams
18 cardinals OR harlequins
12 bronze OR peppered cories
and then if you wanted, you could do a BN pleco. I love those little buddies!
It's gonna be 19" (50cm) tall. To be honest I'm not too pushed on getting the angelfish as I've had some others tell me they can get nippy and possibly eat smaller fish once they mature? I think the rams would be ideal as feature fish and keep 2 schools of smaller fish along with corys on the substrate

Upvote 0

redmare

That sounds good! I would do
2 bolivian rams
12 each cardinals and harlequins
12 single species of corydoras

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I had the same problem in my 65, so I planted rotala and bacopa close together across one back corner of the tank to create a "fence", and I drop wafers down in the corner. The corys and plecos can get to them, but the angel and turquoise rainbows can't (or at least don't).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
50 Gallon Tank Stock advice!
Replies
Views
newclassic1
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
  • Question