20 Gallon Tank Stocking Help?

Frankieflowaz

Reaction score
20gal long tank got a rainbow cichlid rightnow seems super shy I am using aqueon quietflow 20 I used a site it says this in the pic* that's in my 20 gallon long w 1 rainbow civhlid and 5 harlquin rasboras I was wondering
Screenshot_2019-04-14-10-21-03.png
if this is overstock??

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not over stocked [ yet] ,but there may be compatibility issues as the rainbow grows and it is likely he should be in a bigger tank himself ?

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Not over stocked [ yet] ,but there may be compatibility issues as the rainbow grows and it is likely he should be in a bigger tank himself ?
I have him in a 20 gallon long to grow out in by him/herself all I can do where I'm at so ill just leave it by itself just so shy so was thinking to add dither fish but not enough space I guess :/

Drakon

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you only want to get a schooling fish because your cichlid is shy, there are other better options to combat its shyness. From your other threads ive seen that adding more hides to the tank has been recommended various times, yet you seem to have ignored the advice thus far. I think the best solution you have would be to add more decorations to the tank.

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Reaction score
Drakon said:
If you only want to get a schooling fish because your cichlid is shy, there are other better options to combat its shyness. From your other threads ive seen that adding more hides to the tank has been recommended various times, yet you seem to have ignored the advice thus far. I think the best solution you have would be to add more decorations to the tank.
I added a claypot n took out a smaller log it had in there its a 20 long so space is limited when he grows out that's what I'm thinking bout the long term

Drakon

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Frankieflowaz said:
I added a claypot n took out a smaller log it had in there its a 20 long so space is limited when he grows out that's what I'm thinking bout the long term
That’s still only one decoration though, correct? Even adding fake (silk) or real plants would help it feel more comfortable. You can always transfer decor to the next tank, so it wouldn’t be a temporary solution.

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Reaction score
Drakon said:
That’s still only one decoration though, correct? Even adding fake (silk) or real plants would help it feel more comfortable. You can always transfer decor to the next tank, so it wouldn’t be a temporary solution.
I only got 1 tank right now and heres the decor
0413191840_HDR.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Getting better ..
Note the fish is still in the darkest spot it can find .
You could have left it's security log ...

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Getting better ..
Note the fish is still in the darkest spot it can find .
You could have left it's security log ...
It will outgrow the log the dimensions are below 3" and he/she can get 3-7inches

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stress will likely kill the fish before it becomes full grown ?
It can use the log for several months at least I am sure ?
If you want to enjoy your fish to the most you need to go out of your way to make them feel safe and comfortable .
I am sure if a fish found a log too small in nature it would not be too stressed about it ?

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Stress will likely kill the fish before it becomes full grown ?
It can use the log for several months at least I am sure ?
If you want to enjoy your fish to the most you need to go out of your way to make them feel safe and comfortable .
I am sure if a fish found a log too small in nature it would not be too stressed about it ?
What??? I'm saying itll be stressed without the log its used to it but it would be stressed either way months from now if I took it out too so? Idk what your trying to say

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Reaction score
Anyways still isn't using it . Ima try this approach and hope hes using it by 11pm btw are fish known to use a pot in this position?
15552814814541468565371.jpg

New Threads