Stocking Help? 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Frankieflowaz, Apr 14, 2019.

1. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

20gal long tank got a rainbow cichlid rightnow seems super shy I am using aqueon quietflow 20 I used a site it says this in the pic* thats in my 20g long w 1 rainbow civhlid and 5 harlquin rasboras i was wondering Screenshot_2019-04-14-10-21-03.png if this is overstock??

2. RainBettaWell Known MemberMember

Yes!!! Rainbow Chiclids need a minimum of 50 gallons.

3. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Not over stocked [ yet] ,but there may be compatibility issues as the rainbow grows and it is likely he should be in a bigger tank himself ?

4. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

I have him in a 20g long to grow out in by him/herself all i can do where im at so ill just leave it by itself just so shy so was thinking to add dither fish but not enough space i guess :/

5. DrakonValued MemberMember

If you only want to get a schooling fish because your cichlid is shy, there are other better options to combat its shyness. From your other threads ive seen that adding more hides to the tank has been recommended various times, yet you seem to have ignored the advice thus far. I think the best solution you have would be to add more decorations to the tank.

6. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

I added a claypot n took out a smaller log it had in there its a 20 long so space is limited when he grows out that's what im thinking bout the long term

7. DrakonValued MemberMember

That’s still only one decoration though, correct? Even adding fake (silk) or real plants would help it feel more comfortable. You can always transfer decor to the next tank, so it wouldn’t be a temporary solution.

8. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

i only got 1 tank right now and heres the decor 0413191840_HDR.jpg

9. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Getting better ..
    Note the fish is still in the darkest spot it can find .
    You could have left it's security log ...

10. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

It will outgrow the log the dimensions are below 3" and he/she can get 3-7inches

11. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Stress will likely kill the fish before it becomes full grown ?
    It can use the log for several months at least I am sure ?
    If you want to enjoy your fish to the most you need to go out of your way to make them feel safe and comfortable .
    I am sure if a fish found a log too small in nature it would not be too stressed about it ?

12. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

What??? Im saying itll be stressed without the log its used to it but it would be stressed either way months from now if i took it out too so? Idk what your trying to say

13. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Anyways still isnt using it . Ima try this approach and hope hes using it by 11pm btw are fish known to use a pot in this position? 15552814814541468565371.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019