Stocking Help 10 Gallon Tank 

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have a little 10g aquarium in my classroom at school. I have had guppies in it (4 males) and a yoyo loach. Everyone is currently in my home 30g tank. The guppies will probably return to school at the end of March break on Monday, although I'm still debating this as I love having them in the 30g, but I was really hoping to add some shrimp to replace Gary the loach who is staying home to rule the 30g (and probably the 75g when it's set up) with his new loach buddies. How many shrimp could I get without overloading the 10g? It's lightly planted (currently one single mossball) since the light I currently have on the tank is not the best for plants, although that's something I'd like to change eventually.

Thanks for your input!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Shrimp only? Or with guppies?
If you get some shrimp you can breed in freshwater, that'd be very interesting too (and more cost effective).
Without guppies, 75-100 shrimp easily, with them....30-50

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are people with hundreds in a 10g. I'd say start out with around 10 and and they will breed (especially if the guppies remain in the 30). The cycle in the 10 gallon will have crashed if there are no fish in there, or are you bringing established media with you? Be careful with shrimp though, various different colour morphs can breed together and dilute the colours you have. I heard different strains can result in wild type colours, but i dont have experience with that. Neocaridina will breed with neocaridina, caridina will breed with caridina and so on.

What type were you thinking of? It will ultimately depend on that.

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, I didn't think I could stock that many! The kids will love it!

I've kept the filter running while I'm gone with the regular filter media in it, but I'm aware that it'll take a little bit before the cycle is really up and running again. I'll test the water on Monday and see if it's safe for the fishies before they go back. Or I'll make the kids test it and turn it into a science class. Because education.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Better yet, have a tank full of cherries with a few larger amanos and/or bamboo. Sure the latter 2 won't be able to breed, but the differing sizes and colours would be cool to see!

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
If you're up for it you could also do a brackish tank if you wanted to do something like amano shrimp or bamboo shrimp. Only reason to do brackish is because they can't breed in freshwater
I'd rather not get into brackish with that particular tank, since it stays at school and needs to be relatively low maintenance. The kids help a lot with cleaning and water changes, but I don't want to have too many parameters to monitor.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom