Stocking Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ziabis, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

My question is, I have 6 black phantom rather small(dime size) they don't seem to be growing at all. I have 1 huge black phantom well over quarter size and 5 medium size glowlights, is this ok. 2ndly was thinking of maybe 5 or 6 platies but I read some where that its not good to get all male and only 1 female. If I get 3-4 or 5-6 what is the ratio m-f?
    Thank you....

2. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

I'm definitely not an expert on tetras, but I think probably the high population of your tank is slowing the growth of your black phantoms. If you can get another 30gal tank set up at least temporarily *just* for your phantoms, you might see them grow more rapidly after separating them from your other fish. I've done the whole separate-and-growout thing with platies before, and it seems to work.

I recommend posting your question about adding platies on the Stocking forum to see if you can afford to add the platies. If you do, though, I recommend 1 male for every 2 or 3 females. Sometimes it's okay to have fewer females, but it's generally a bad risk.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Here is your new thread.

Thanks!

Ken

4. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I've had livebearers before and it's my understanding that you should have 3 or 4 females for every male. Or, if you like the males better (they're prettier) you could get all males. (I THINK) I believe that without any females in the tank, they're fine. But don't hold me to that. ;)

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I do agree a seperation and a bit more food will help them grow faster and better compete for food.

Also wit han all male tank expect some aggression, I had an all male guppy tank for a while and they could be aggressive from time to time. Nothing too serious but very picky towards each other.

6. aylad

Agreed with the above. With platies, by the way, there's no color/"prettiness" difference between males and females. Orangeclumsy1 is probably thinking of guppies (or endlers?) :)

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The term is sexual dimorphism :)

8. aylad

<-- Not a biology teacher. ;D j/k

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice