Stocking Help (will These Work)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by pixilwizard, Apr 16, 2017.

1. pixilwizard

pixilwizardNew MemberMember

Hello everyone, I got this tank for free from the local pet shop since the birds had chewed the heater cable.:)

I trusted the sales persons advice on this fish stocking but after doing some research I realized that I may run into some problems down the road.
    I'm not worried about over stocking or bad filtration, I've made sure those two boxes are checked. I'm more concerned about how the species of fish will interact with one another as well as whether they're too big for this tank.

I currently have the following:
    1 x clown loach
    2 x jewel cichlids
    2 x Bala shark
    1 x dwarf gourami

Basically what I read is that the Balas are too big, the jewels are too aggressive, the loach is too big and the dwarf gourami is too sensative to be with the jewels. At the moment the fish are all still small except for the one jewel which is about 2.5-3" long.

Thanks

2. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Bala sharks grow 12+ inches and need schools.
    Clown loaches reach 8+ inches (and way bigger) and I also believe that they need to be in shoals/schools, or do best in them at least.
    Jewel cichlids I believe are okay in a 30 gallon, but they are aggressive and tank-mates must be chosen accordingly. I do not know if you can have two, however.

Your dwarf gourami is best suited to the 30 gallon, in my opinion. You can do a nice community in there if you get rid of the others and just keep him.

3. OP
    OP
    pixilwizard

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Could I add 3 more gouramis and two angels if I remove the jewels, clown, and balas?
    The jewels are so beautiful, it sucks that they need to go back.

4. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Dwarf gouramis generally aren't recommended to be kept with multiple other dwarf gouramis or other gouramis as they may fight.

I *think* you'd be fine with one angelfish, but I will leave it to the angelfish experts to reply with a for sure on that one. If you can do angelfish, I'd just go with one. Two may either fight at maturity, or pair up and get aggressive with the other fish when/if they lay eggs.

5. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Dwarf gouramis don't generally get along with other DGs so I would only do 1. I'm not sure if they would get along with angelfish, but I don't think so. Your tank size is only big enough for 1 angel max unfortunately. Here's my stock for a 29 gallon:
    2 honey gouramis
    8 Cardinal tetras
    2 GBRs
    6 kuhli loaches
    1 angelfish

6. SepehrWell Known MemberMember

Hello there,
    I think you researched a lot and You somehow know that there are some Problems in your stocking list.

In My Opinion, Dwarf Gouarmi can peacefully live with Angel and you need a taller Aquarium for your Angel.

Sorry, I could not load the web page about your Aquarium, Can you give some information about it?

I agree, One Angel would be better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    pixilwizard

Technical Data:
    Size 510Lx570Wx670H (millimeter)
    128Liter (about 32gal)

I think the tank will be tall enough for and angel. Do kuhli loaches like to be in groups?
    So my planned stock list:
    1 x angel
    1 x dwarf gourami
    2 x GBRs
    6-8 neon tetras
    1-3 kuhli loaches

Will this work?

8. Baron DimentioNew MemberMember

Forget about bala sharks. I have kept them and they need a ridiculously large space to be happy, They are great with gourami however. I'v kept them with moonlight gouramis and they were great. As people have said clown loaches need companions to live at least 8 as previously stated, so remove them too. What a I suggest is the following, for a large tank jewel chiclids do well with African butterfly peacocks. For a small aquarium your choices are limited, maybe tiger barbs do well.If you want to keep dwarf gourami, I have seen them kept with swordtails, dianos and once with a common pleco ( this aquarium was very big, like 200 gallons)

9. _IceFyre_

Kuhli loaches are usually less shy if you keep them in groups of 6 or so, so I would reccomend having a group. You should probably swap out the neons for Cardinal or lemon tetras or some other variety of larger tetra or rasbora that is temp compatible with the angelfish as neons are the natural prey of wild angelfish and also prefer cooler water than the Angels. Other than that, it looks good to me:)

10. OP
    OP
    pixilwizard

Maybe a different approach will be to just keep the jewel cichlid pair. Then they won't fight to keep other fish out of their territory.

Thanks for the advice I'll look for a larger tetra and thanks for clearing that up about the kuhli loaches.

11. SepehrWell Known MemberMember

I do not think so. Angel hunt Neon Tetra in Nature so I do not think it will be a good mix plus Neon Tetras are not temperature compatible with Angel.
    Kuhli Loaches prefer to be in groups (3 or more)
    I am not really good with abbreviation, So can you please tell me What is GBRs?

Great Idea

12. _IceFyre_

German blue Rams. Beautiful but very fragile fish

13. Baron DimentioNew MemberMember

I agree pixilwizard, they should be kept as a pair ,with no other fish. A 30 gallon is too small for these fish to co-exist with others without having problems down the road.Personally, I can't stomach an angel in a 30 gallon but that is just me.

14. SepehrWell Known MemberMember

Thank you!

15. OP
    OP
    pixilwizard

Thank you all for the help. I think I'm going to get rid of everything except for the two jewels. I've always had a soft spot for african cichlids and I fell for these as soon as I saw them in the store. Is the tank be big enough for the two to be happy? Can I add a catfish of some kind?

16. SepehrWell Known MemberMember

How about this?
    1x Angel
    2x Blue ram (German blue ram is the same species)
    6 or more Cherry barbs (instead of Neon Tetras and males are pretty and Colourful)
    1x Clown pleco (instead of Clown Loach, many other plecos will not work at the high temps required by the blue ram, so don't just get any pleco)

17. _IceFyre_

No problem, it can take a while to learn all the lingo on this site:)

18. OP
    OP
    pixilwizard

The clown pleco looks cool. Would he work with the jewel cichlids?

19. SepehrWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, You are right.
    I do not really like Abbreviation of any kind. it is easier for me to type German Blue Rams instead of GBRs:)

I am sorry, I am not so sure!
    But I think if you provide enough hiding places and caves, They can be compatible with each other but jewel cichlids can get very aggressive with tank mates when ready for breeding

20. OP
    OP
    pixilwizard

"They will be suitable for almost all fish tanks, except for African cichlid tanks, or any fish tank that has fish big enough to eat the clown pleco."

Found this in the Clown Pleco page on this site. Guess that won't work. Thank you for the help. At least I know what my options are now. Cheers guys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice