stocking help please

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI guys, I have been anxiously waiting for this day to come! Tomorrow is the day where I get my fish! Its very late, I know, but is there any objections to these suggestions?

I have 2 cories already.

3 cories (+1)
2 guppies (fancy if possible!)

3 cories (+1)
6 endlers/celestial Pearl Danios

2 cories
8 Celestials/endlers

3 cories (+1)
1 betta

3 cories (+1)
3 sparkling gourami

I have researched every fish. For option 4, I realise that Bettas are best kept on their own, but ive heard that the rule only really applies to smaller tanks such as a 2.5 gal or 5 gal. and as far as cories go, they are quick when they want to be, they don't have bright colours and they live in the wrong strata. Perfect!

I haven't narrowed it down as my LFS has a massive reputation in my city, and their stock is always coming and going.

Please tell me if anything is overstocked!

Thanks guys!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The suggestions sound good, and actually, many members have had success with Opt 4, but you should keep in mind to have a back up plan in case the betta takes objection to the cories.

Personally, I like guppies (but they are weak in my area and never last long), the celestial pearl danios are lovely, and also the sparkling gouramis. You like pretty fish, like me! Best of luck whatever you decide (hope you're still awake to see this reply, I know you posted a while back...). You could prob have 1 or 2 more guppies for Opt 1 though

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd suggest at least four corys, they like to be in groups of 4+.

Male guppies will tear each other up so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that you'll probably have fry with guppies and Endler's so you'll need a plan on what to do with them. Some will survive if left in the main tank.

Otherwise, in my limited noob experience, they all look fine.

-Lisa

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had 2 cories in my 10 gallon, and they were fine, but as you're not adding much more, you can get another couple. Male guppies MAY be picky at each other, but most members here (there was a thread somewhere about it) say they have had little or absolutely no trouble with multiple males. Or you can go for the 3/4 females to 1 male approach, but beware, you'll have fry every month for the rest of time!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could keep 1 cory in a 10 gallon and it will be "fine", as in it won't die. But id hardly agree its fine.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry, by 'fine' I meant swimming all over the tank, up, down playing about in and near the bubbles, usual cory behaviour, like what they do now they're in a group of 4... They're very active and playful. (Until gravel vac time when they hide behind the plants lol!)

I know a few people who have kept just 2 in a tank before as well on this forum, but the OP is looking for at least 3.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Option 4 sounds nice I'd go with that. But as Tigerfishy mentioned, do have a backup plan because all bettas have different personalities and behavior.

Best of luck!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From a bioload standpoint if u were to get anything I suggest CPDs, they can get expensive, but they are tiny, I have some 2month guppy fry that are starting to tower over mine.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, many people even bump the cory tank min. up to 20 gallons, me being one of them. This is because that those inch-long cuties at the LFS grow pretty big, most topping out at about 2.5-3 inches. Grab a ruler and see how big that is. Big. Also, since cories like to snoot all over the tank, they need a tank with a pretty big surface area.

If you want cories to put in a 10 gallon, pygmy corydoras (hastatus) are the way to go.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO a 29 is a minimum, or a 20L.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ah. Okay.

I thought that 29 gallons is like 110 L?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's just my opinion. Like was said earlier, many people keep them in 10s and as couples or trios. I have done that myself, though I'll never do it again.

20L as in 20 long, as opposed to a 20H. Some tank sizes have multiple dimensions and long (L) and tall (H) are usually used to differentiate.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree about the cories... I love them! and at a stage, I was seriously considering an all cory tank (maybe 5?) so they could be happier. But, with a trio, its not sacrificing too much in bioload. a cory is 2.5 inches long. x4 that's already 10 inches. I would do it but I would love to have something up the top. 3 cories are 7.5 inches, so adding a few 1 inch fish would work or a couple of 2 inch guppies.

would it be possible (bio-load) to have 4 cories and a betta? That way you would get the best of both worlds! I mean, I feed my betta 3 pellets twice a day. That can't be adding too much to the bio-load!

I will easily find a betta that will choose me, so that's not a problem!

Also, would 2 guppies and 4 cories work?

I'm really wanting four cories! If I got panda cories (2) would they interact with each other as if they were the same species? If they would, that seems the best way to go as they are only 1.5 inch long! I don't mind which cories I get as long at they are cories! But I want to keep them happy!

With the stocking, I really don't want to be border-line overstocked, so that there isn't much that can go wrong.

lol, tigerfishy we do love the same fish!

Thanks guys!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I suggest that the Betta be housed by itself. They are not a big fan of tank mates and tanks larger than 10 gallon's. Smaller more shallow tanks (5 gallon, 10 gallon) are most recommended so it's easier for them to reach the surface to breathe.

I've seen numerous amounts of members trying to house a betta with other fish and most (I can't say all ) have ended up in disaster.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. Don't forget the photos!hoto:

Ken

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks ken!

I don't know what ill get!

With the cories, I was only going to get one, but I felt sorry for him... so I got him a buddy! I still thought he needed another friend but I was stocked! So, now that I have the chance to re-stock, I would love to have 4 cories, but with the inch per gallon (4*2.5=10inch) that's it stocked, and I would love to use the top two stratas as well. But the only way I could do that is if I had a betta, which might turn out bad, as ken pointed out before. So I'm in a situation where I'm not sure whether or not I could stock it with 4 cories and a couple of guppies or endlers or CPDs!

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
would all of these work with 4 cories? Please help!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The 1" rule is pretty rudimentary and a lot of people don't follow it, just ask Jaysee.

I've been looking at the sparkling gouramI for my 5 gallon and I think it might be good for your tank. They are not aggressive and aren't really active fish that need a lot of swimming space like guppies. From what I've read, they tend to be middle to top dwellers since they are labrynth fish. It almost seems like they have all the benefits of a betta without the aggression. . But this is just IMHO from what I've come across in my own research.

-Lisa

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

One fish per gallon rule?

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To find out what I got, click here ---->

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Yallyall,

I'm a bit concerned about the "+1 to the first person to get it" statement. I may be way off base here and if so I apologize but please don't give good reputation points to contest winners if that is what you had in mind. This isn't what the reputation system was created for.

It isn't always easy to determine meanings of text on a screen and if I've misinterpreted yours above again I apologize

When we usually see the +1 or +2 in someones response it's meant as that poster agrees or I second that information and not that good reputation points were given.

I felt I should make that clear to everyone

Thanks!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads