Stocking help needed!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sparkler39, Apr 7, 2010.

1. s

sparkler39 New Member Member

Emergency stocking/overcrowding help needed ASAP!!

Hi all! I posted a few weeks ago about my newly re-set up 29g tank. It's fully cycled and has been doing very well. As of 2 weeks ago I had 9 RCS, 2 amano shrimp, 2 panda corycats, 5 neon tetras, 3 otos, and 5 zebra danios, and two guppies (both female).

Then 6 days ago ago a neighbor (who knows I keep a fish tank) came over with a plastic bag full of fish (no advance warning). She said she was tired of her daughter not taking care of her fish and if I wouldn't take them she was throwing them in the trash! I couldn't say no....so I now have 9 glo-lite danios, 1 male guppy, and 2 baby clown loaches (she just bought the loaches 3 weeks ago) added to the rest of my tank.

Unfortunately I don't own and can't afford a quarantine tank but I kept a "quarantine" bucket with an airstone going for three days before I introduced the fish to my tank. I know the clown loaches will get way too big for my 29g tank. Unfortunately the LFS will not take the fish back and neither will the big stores (Petsmart, Petco).

I know these are very undesirable living conditions (although WAY better than the previous conditions for the neighbors' fish....she had all 12 fish in a 5 gallon tank with a huge decoration in the middle!!) but what can I do? I don't know anyone who keeps fish so there's not even someone I could give the fish to. Again unless I get lucky at a yardsale (and I'm looking!) I can't afford a larger tank right now (although I hope to own a 125g someday...like in 5 years...). I had a large piece of driftwood and a stone dragon in my tank previously. I've removed the dragon and laid the driftwood on it's side to make a little more horizontal room for swimming and a little hiding space for the loaches but I don't know what else I can do.

I'm watching the water very carefully to make sure that the ammonia doesn't get out of control but I'm at a loss now. :( I don't want my fish to suffer but I also don't want to subject the other 12 fish to the conditions they were in or to death in 85 degree weather in a trash can! I am relieved that the lady thought to give them to me rather than just chuck them to begin with. The fish all seem happy and have found schooling groups with my fish but.....AAAAHHH...what to do?!?!?!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

holy moley! What a neighbor. geesh.
    try craigslist for a big tank.

3. OP
    OP
    s

Yeah she's not really a friend but just a neighbor. She has a habit of indulging her children and then getting rid of things when it doesn't go well. I already rehomed her son's hamster when she got tired of it escaping it's cage (which wasn't cleaned and was about the size of a shoebox) and let it go in the front yard!! I happened to drive up my driveway that evening and in the headlights saw something that looked like a tailless rat in my garden under the azalea. When my husband and I started searching we found the poor hamster. I brought it over to her house because I thought it had escaped and she said "oh yeah, I let it go...I figured a snake or hawk would get it and put it out of it's misery...." ....makes me sick!

4. Meenu

she sounds awful!! :mad:

5. OP
    OP
    s

She kinda is. She's owned at least two different dogs that she's gotten rid of for reasons that are her faults and not the dog's. Unfortunately there are plenty of places that she can continue to obtain various pets as suit her and her three children's immediate desires and then throw away when the upkeep gets "hard".

6. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Where are you located maybe you could post in the B/S/T section looking for a home for some of the fish. Depending on where you're at I'm sure someone on the forum could help you out. You could also post on craigslist looking for a home for them.

7. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Serioulsy check craigs list for a larger tank. They have some great deals there.

What about the old tank? She couldn't give that to you too?

8. OP
    OP
    s

I'll definetely check Craigslist. I'm in the northern Virginia area. Unfortunately I wouldn't want her 5g tank. It's almost black it's so filthy, has been duct-taped together in spots, and has been the cannibal graveyard for way too many fish. At one point there were 25 fish in that tank! As they died of stress, overcrowding, and disease she just left the bodies to get eaten and decompose. It's gross.

9. Meenu

Nope, you have to have 50 posts before you can access that part of the forum.

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well the good news is those clown plecos won't get bigger than 4 inches....they are one of the smallest plecos out there. They also require driftwood to eat, so a piece will be needed in your tank if you plan on keeping them.

I don't think you are that overstocked. The danios will take up the top portion of the tank. The male guppy will keep the females busy, so that's good. Where I think you run into trouble is with the 2 plecos. One will be fine - 2 is 1 too many, strictly from a bioload standpoint. I'm not sure if there would be any aggression between plecos in a 29, as I've only ever kept 1. Aside from that, I think you're okay.

11. OP
    OP
    s

They're actually clown loaches not plecos and looking through this forum it appears that they can get up to 12 inches and are best off in trios not duos. :(

12. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Whoops I didn't see how many posts that user had made.

I believe the poster has clown loaches which get around 12" and those cannot live in a 29 gallon.

13. Jaysee

So they are :) Replace them with a few more neons and I think you are good.

14. OP
    OP
    s

Really? That's 29 fish in a 29g tank. That seems too crowded to me but I'm not sure. When I was younger I followed the 'inch per gallon' rule but I understand now why that doesn't quite work. My biggest concern right now are the loaches. I'm going to post on CL and see if someone wants them. That would leave me with 27 fish but I think even that might be a little too much.

15. Meenu

well, the shrimp have really low bioload

16. Jaysee

You dont have any big fish. there will be a lot of danios, no doubt, but after that theres not so much going on. as meenu said, the shsrimp have a very low bioload as do the neons. itll be a full tank, but with good filtration and maintanance itll work.

i have a 30 gallon with 9 orange flame tetras, 6 black neons, 12 neons, 6 kuhli loaches, some 20 ghost shrimp and only God knows how many snails. I still have a dwarf gourami (cant find good ones) to add, as well as some guppies. thats a FULL tank, and i have an XP2 for filtration.

17. OP
    OP
    s

What is an XP2? Will that do more than my
    current Marineland filter? Thanks for the advice and help....again the fish seem
    pretty happy and my zebras and glo-lites are schooling together as are the loaches and the corys. I'm still looking for a home for the loaches but it's too bad that they get so big. They're fast becoming my favorite fish with their crazy antics and behaviors. Oh well...someday I'll have a bigger tank!

18. Meenu

Sparkler, you want more filtration, especially in a fully-stocked (or slightly overstocked) tank. If you have a HOB filter, it should filter about 10x the tank capacity (so 30g x 10 = 300 gph). With a canister, you'd want 5x. On my 30 gallon, I have a Fluval 305, which filters 185 gph, and is a canister. It's awesome. :)

You could get another HOB, maybe an Aquaclear. Or if you can afford it, there are a lot of really good canisters. Oh, and Jaysee's XP2 is a Rena, I think.

19. OP
    OP
    s

Okay feeling kinda dumb....what's an HOB?

20. Meenu

Sorry... it means the hang on back type of filter. Don't feel dumb. That was my bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice