Stocking Help Needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NH123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am pretty new to fish keeping and Fishlore so sorry if this is in the wrong place!!

Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading my current tank to a 20 gallon. (The marina lux 75 litres, with these dimensions: L61.4cm X W32.2cm X H41.9cm). I would probably attempt to use live plants and driftwood if someone could give me any advice on this, I was thinking dwarf hair grass, amazon sword and javamoss.

So, what I was thinking was:

8 or 10 Rummy nose tetras

1 male Betta (who is in my current tank with some rummy noses (I was told from where I got them that 4 was a decent school size but have since found out 6 is the recommended minimum, after beginning to use a reputable LFS where I purchased my betta rather than a pet store. I haven't increased my school to 6 as I do not want to overstock my current tank, which I have also learnt is too small for rummy noses, another thing the pet store misinformed me about
which is another reason I have decided to upgrade to the 20 gallon). My betta is now approx a year old (I was told he was approx 4 to 5 months when I got him and that's why his fins were short, I think he is now fully grown with beautiful long fins, with him reaching around 3 inches including fins). He was housed with neons in the LFS and I have housed him with rummys. I have had no issues with aggression from him other than occasional flaring and chasing the tetras when they go too close to his bubble nest, but this is never any longer than a couple of seconds, they all seem pretty content.

I was also thinking of another solitary fish maybe like a bristle nose pleco? or one that someone could recommend, however I would be happy with the betta and rummys if the other fish would end up overstocking the tank!

Any information you can give me will be appreciated!

(I already know about the fishless cycle and weekly water changes etc)

x

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would not stock with a betta in this tank. At only 24 inches long, there's not much room for the rummynose to escape if the betta attacks them. Additionally, keeping bettas in community tanks stresses them out. They're solitary fish and keeping them in community tanks is solely for the owner, not best for the betta.

There are other fish that would work better as a centerpiece fish

A BN pleco is too large for a tank this size. What about these options?

6-8x Rummynose tetra
2x Peacock gudgeon
8x Kuhli loaches

6-8x Rummynose tetra
2x Male platies or 3x male guppies
8x Kuhli loaches

6-8x Rummynose tetra
1x Dwarf gourami or 1-2x Honey gourami
8x Kuhli loaches

6-8x Rummynose tetra
8x Kuhli loaches

NH123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for everyone's input!
So I shall keep my betta in the 7.5 gallon I currently have on his own and I will do the stocking of the 20 gallon with the Rummynose tetras, guppies and kuhli loaches.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom