Stocking Help - Jewel Cichlid, Tiger Barbs, Royal Pleco

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DDMfishkeeping, Oct 5, 2018.

1. DDMfishkeeping

DDMfishkeepingNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a lone jewel Cichild who is fully matured he’s 6 inch’s and I also have a tank with 6 Tiger barbs fully grown 2-3in and a snowball or royal pleco as their sometimes reffered to as I think 6in I grew out the barbs separately from the jewel tank because at first they were small enough to eat I also grew them out with the pleco and they are now great friends. What would I have to do to get all these fish in a tank together are they all temp compatible what size tank and what kind of scape would I need

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +784
    Experience:
    4 years
    Well becouse of the royal pleco you would need a minimum of a 120 gallon tank but without the pleco a 40 long or breeder would work. The tank will need to be medium to heavily planted with driftwood, ceramic decorations some terra-cotta pots, and lots of hiding places and things to swim through. Substrate needs to be sand and temperature should be kept around 77 with or without the pleco pH needs to be kept between 6 and 7.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hmm, thats an interesting question. Jewels can be extremely aggressive. Definitely more than a 40 even without a Pleco. Let me call in some people and get more opinions. It might just be a bad Idea entirely.

@Gypsy13 @NavyChief20 @BringKermitBack @bizaliz3 (random people off the top of my head lol)

4. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,581
    Experience:
    2 years
    If you want to keep the pleco maybe 150-200 gallons, give or take. Not sure about the Jewel.

5. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So one of two things will happen. The tigers will pester the jewel till it dies or they will pester it till it has had enough and takes one or more out. Then tiger aggression goes up and eventually the jewel will either get killed off or will be in the tank with just a pleco

6. OP
    OP
    DDMfishkeeping

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for the misunderstanding guys I have a snowball pleco only reaches about 6.5in max

7. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah i understood. Im not really sure why peeps are telling you a 125 for a snowball.

8. The Fish Nerd

The Fish NerdValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Pairing anything with a Jewel is gonna be a gamble. May work with tiger barbs...may not.

As to what size tank, a big part of that question is gonna be what species of pleco do you have? Snowball plecos and Royal plecos are very different species, one of which gets much much larger than the other.

9. OP
    OP
    DDMfishkeeping

Ratings:
    +2
    Again sorry for misunderstanding it’s a snowball pleco

10. The Fish Nerd

The Fish NerdValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In that case, I'd shoot for a 75 if you can swing it.
    That way you have enough space both for the pleco and for fish to get away from each other if the jewel gets in a nasty mood.

11. OP
    OP
    DDMfishkeeping

Ratings:
    +2
    I purchased a 70 gallon tank check out my other thread