Stocking Help For 2 Tanks!

Drip&derp

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have decided to start 2 saltwater tanks later in the year(like December). Before I start to cycle I would like to know what fish to prepare for. these will be my first saltwater tank and I plan for it to be 75 gallons. I'm also planning to convert my 38g Marineland bowfront tank into a reef tank with some invertebrates MAYBE some fish. I'm still doing all my research (in total I know about 2%).
Q1: what beginner fish are good for a 75 gallon tank with live rock and sand (probably 2 inches)?
Q2: what invertebrates and coral are good for a 38g tank (i may build in the sump so stock for 30 gallon)?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Just to make sure, do you plan on keeping the 75 gallon as a FOWLR (if so, then it'll be easier to suggest fish that are know to eat corals that you might like ). Also, welcome to the dark and salty side lol

louis bitonti

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
for the 38g some amazing inverts would be brittle stars because they don't eat coral. pom pom crabs also look very cool, feather dusters look like mini anomes* other's would be most urchins and most shrimp ( do not buy a harley quinn shrimp) please do not buy these they only eat starfish.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Drip&derp said:
I have decided to start 2 saltwater tanks later in the year(like December). Before I start to cycle I would like to know what fish to prepare for. these will be my first saltwater tank and I plan for it to be 75 gallons. I'm also planning to convert my 38g Marineland bowfront tank into a reef tank with some invertebrates MAYBE some fish. I'm still doing all my research (in total I know about 2%).
Q1: what beginner fish are good for a 75 gallon tank with live rock and sand (probably 2 inches)?
Q2: what invertebrates and coral are good for a 38g tank (i may build in the sump so stock for 30 gallon)?
A 75 gallon tank will give you plenty of options. Do you plan on putting coral into the 75 gallon, or are you keeping that in the 38? If you are doing FOWLR (Fish Only with Live Rock) then it opens up quite a few options for you as there are many coral nipping fish that would not be well suited for a reef but would do great in a FOWLR.

Here are some recommendations for reef:

Live Aquaria - Search Results for pygmy cherub angelfish

FYI the Angels will be with caution as they can nip at corals, but many have had good luck with those two

I would stick with the Occ or Percula varieties though as the others tend to be more aggressive

That is the only dottyback I would recommend as the rest can be little terrors. Don't confuse it with the Purple dottyback

The aforementioned one will be pushing it at full size, but might be worth a try if you watch out for the venomous spines

Stay away from the Mystery and 6 line as they are aggressive and the Mystery will eat inverts including cleaner shrimp

The aforementioned will work, but they will eat small ornamental shrimp, snails and hermit crabs periodically

If you aren't doing corals:

Drip&derp

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thank you for the info! sorry if I was unclear the 38 would be a reef mostly invertebrates. the 75 would be a fish and live rock tank and coral. Also not to be a bother but if I want to know if they are captive breed should I just contact the seller?

Drip&derp

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
KinsKicks said:
Hello!

Just to make sure, do you plan on keeping the 75 gallon as a FOWLR (if so, then it'll be easier to suggest fish that are know to eat corals that you might like ). Also, welcome to the dark and salty side lol
I was thinking of including some corals so I'm looking for reef safe fish.
I did some looking and decided I liked the pajama cardinalfish, the watchman goby, and scarlet skunk shrimp. Any idea on what would work well with these in a 75 gallon? (with some coral not alot)

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would suggest looking at peaceful fish like a Midas Blenny, fairy wrasses, an ocellaris clownfish, dartfish (assuming you have a good lid!), starry blenny and basslets with your choices. You could do a bristle tooth tank too like a tomini tang or yellow eye kole tank, but if you go that route you can't have a combtooth blenny like the starry blenny.

I would aim for a stocking list of 7 fish. You could probably get away with more, but if you are not as experienced with saltwater, I would suggest a light stocking to help you succeed!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom