Help Stocking Heavily Planted 40b

boycottbeef

Reaction score
I am interested in putting together a community in a standard 40b, and would like to keep glass cats, harlequin rasboras, kuhli loaches, rummynose tetras, RCS, snails, and maybe a centerpiece fish such as a golden dojo loach, pink paddleton eel, or spiny eel... Most of all, I want to keep the glass cats. The tank would be heavily planted (like, almost Dutch), use a Tidal 75 HOB filter, and probably two 100W or 150W heaters.

I definitely don't want to overstock the tank, but I would like to have this arrangement of fish if possible, keeping the fishes' comfort in appropriately sized schools as a priority: 9-10 glass cats, 10-14 harlequin rasboras, 6 rummynose tetras, 5 kuhli loaches, 12-20 RCS, 3-6 snails (probably nerite, maybe a handful of MTS to manage the substrate), and 1 centerpiece fish preferably of eel-like nature... It seems to check out on aquadviser.com, but I have limited experience at this point.

Any advice/direction would be helpful. Thanks!

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am interested in putting together a community in a standard 40b, and would like to keep glass cats, harlequin rasboras, kuhli loaches, rummynose tetras, RCS, snails, and maybe a centerpiece fish such as a golden dojo loach, pink paddleton eel, or spiny eel... Most of all, I want to keep the glass cats. The tank would be heavily planted (like, almost Dutch), use a Tidal 75 HOB filter, and probably two 100W or 150W heaters.

I definitely don't want to overstock the tank, but I would like to have this arrangement of fish if possible, keeping the fishes' comfort in appropriately sized schools as a priority: 9-10 glass cats, 10-14 harlequin rasboras, 6 rummynose tetras, 5 kuhli loaches, 12-20 RCS, 3-6 snails (probably nerite, maybe a handful of MTS to manage the substrate), and 1 centerpiece fish preferably of eel-like nature... It seems to check out on aquadviser.com, but I have limited experience at this point.

Any advice/direction would be helpful. Thanks!
That all seems like it would work, I would recommend the Spiney eel as they are pretty active.

boycottbeef

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. Should I have to worry about the MTS getting out of control if I went with an eel? My thinking was that a loach would help keep it under control. Maybe some assassin snails...?

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
An assassin snail will take care of all snails in the tank. One of my tanks had MTS in it and now it looks like a grave yard after I threw in 5 assassin snails from another tank. Assassin snails will breed, but they are pretty easy to sell. I sold 30 once in about 30 minutes online.

boycottbeef

Reaction score
Hmmm. Is there a way to keep the MTS population under control without ending up with huge numbers of assassin snails? Also would rather nerites/mystery snail not to be eaten.

Or maybe there's another animal (loach or bloodworms or something?) that can keep the substrate in check?

Edit: blackworms, not bloodworms

Last edited by a moderator:

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Assassin snails do not reproduce nearly as rapidly as pest snails, you would have far less trouble culling them in the long run than MTS or pond snails, etc. If you don't overfeed your tank they will also run out of food eventually. Keeping your water very soft will also help keep shrimp populations down, but your stock would need to be compatible with that.
I would advise against an eel or a dojo in that tank with crowding from the rest of your stock. 3 feet is already on the cramped side for any of those eel-like centerpieces you've mentioned, the spiny and spaghetti eel may be daunted by the activity of the stock whereas the loach would probably stress out your cats. A half-banded spiny eel or a dojo may be fine if you restrict the rest of your stock though. Also I think any of the fish in this category will snack on your RCS with the exception of a dojo.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Assassin snails do not reproduce nearly as rapidly as pest snails, you would have far less trouble culling them in the long run than MTS or pond snails, etc. If you don't overfeed your tank they will also run out of food eventually. Keeping your water very soft will also help keep shrimp populations down, but your stock would need to be compatible with that.
I would advise against an eel or a dojo in that tank with crowding from the rest of your stock. 3 feet is already on the cramped side for any of those eel-like centerpieces you've mentioned, the spiny and spaghetti eel may be daunted by the activity of the stock whereas the loach would probably stress out your cats. A half-banded spiny eel or a dojo may be fine if you restrict the rest of your stock though. Also I think any of the fish in this category will snack on your RCS with the exception of a dojo.
Hi! I don’t know if you know this but spiney eels only gets a foot long, still big but not crazy. I think personally the eel and kuli loaches will kick up the sand enough.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi! I don’t know if you know this but spiney eels only gets a foot long, still big but not crazy. I think personally the eel and kuli loaches will kick up the sand enough.
"only"? xD A foot is still a pretty sizable fish. I know they aren't super active but still, I think a 40 gallon is pretty much the minimum right? That fish would be a 1/3rd the length of the tank right, unless I miscalculated somewhere? You can totally keep them in that tank, but I personally would then be against putting a lot of other fish in the tank as well. 6 rummynoses, a dozen harlequin rasboras, a couple kuhli's and 10 glass catfish is not light stocking, by itself that would already make the tank well stocked. To then add another fish that is so large (and that doesn't like a lot of tank activity), I don't think it is a good idea. I don't think it will do the health of all the fish involved good in the long run.
Just is my personal opinion though, I don't think you'd be breaking any of the rules-of-tumb, so to speak, with this stocking (I checked aqadvisor and it gives 90% stocking with that filtration, though it already gives 75+% for just the fish minus the eel so it seems like this eel has a light bioload according to the website(?)). The heavy planting would help, I guess.
Again though, just my opinion on what I would do. There are plenty who would disagree and also plenty who could pull it off, though I think also plenty of instances where such a set-up would not work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom