Stocking Goldfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicholas04, Apr 18, 2017.

1. N

Nicholas04 New Member Member

2. Nadiboy

Nadiboy Valued Member Member

Pick something else. Moors are awesome, but goldfish should be kept only in larger tanks. These are fish that can quite easily reach 12". There are LOADS AND LOADS of beautiful, SMALL fish that are much better suited to a 29 gallon.

3. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

I personally wouldn't put more than one adult fancy long tail goldfish in a 29 gallon. The reason why is that they can get to 6-8 inches with tail and with two in there it will seem crowded. A 30 gallon or better yet, a 40 gallon breeder would be a lot better for two. Since it will have more surface room. Even though a 30 gallon is only one gallon more than a 29. A 30 gallon has a surface area of 432 and a 29 gallon only has 360.

More surface area means more oxygen and goldfish needs tons of it. Also it means more room. You'll probably get by with two adult ranchus, since they have shorter tails, but I personally wouldn't do more than one long tail fancy in a 29 gallon.

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Black moors do not get to 12", I think you have gotten confused between the single tail and fancy varieties of goldfish.

5. OP
    OP
    N

You sure? My tank was a lot of aeration and good oxygen exchange

Also do black moors grow larger than fantails or vise versa

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Nadiboy

Recently had a black moor surrendered at the shop I work at that was all of 12" with tail(the 8 inch "max" size is WITHOUT tail), and this was a fish who had spent 7 years in a 10 gallon tank- HORRIFIC! Truly, though, find a more suitable fish- there are literally hundreds of species readily available to you! Some AMAZING, smaller species...

7. MaddieTaylah

You could house 2 black moors in a 29 gallon tank temporarily until they get a little larger but I go by 20 gallons per fancy goldfish, so I think a 40 gallon would be preferable to begin with as then you won't need to upgrade later.

Fantails are smaller than black moors.

8. Nadiboy

I have not.

9. MaddieTaylah

Oxygen exchange isn't really a concern for a 29 gallon tank. The more pertinent issues would be water quality & swimming space.

10. C

Even though you have enough oxygen, it will look crowded for two adult fancies. Trust me, I once put two of my 6 inch Orandas in a 29 gallon and they seem overcrowded. They were more active when I moved them to a 40 breeder.

11. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure about the blackmoors, but I have seen fantails, like dinner plates. However, I don't think your typical LFS vaireity will get that big (not entirely sure of that). These were expensive quality fish.

12. OP
    OP
    N

Can I keep a fantail or two in my tank?

13. MaddieTaylah

With tail 12" is possible that that's not generally part of the measurement.

14. C

It could be, if you don't have enough surface movements.

15. Nadiboy

Yeah- I did include the tail. I realize it's not typically included in measurements, but i included it!

16. MaddieTaylah

That could happen in any tank though, it's not specifically a concern for a 29 gallon tank.

All sized goldfish tanks need water disturbance via filtration/airstones etc. as I am sure you are aware of.

If you cannot get a 40 gallon tank for two fancy goldfish the I would suggest not getting any as goldfish are quite social and prefer to be with at least one other goldfish.

Perhaps a tropical community tank might be a better idea? There are lots of beautiful fish that could go in a 29 gallon tank.

17. C

In a smaller tank like a 29 gallon, it is much more needed. The more surface room, the more oxygen.

18. Nadiboy

That's two votes for DIFFERENT stocking choices ;)

19. MaddieTaylah

Yes, but even in my large ponds I still think water disturbance is necessary.

20. Nadiboy

Seriously, though, I'm with Maddie- more or less. AT MINIMUM, 40 gallons, but I like to recommend minimum 55 gallons for a pair of any goldfish, and at least 10-20 gallons more per additional goldfish. Overstocking/heavily stocking a tank is one thing, if it's with lots of SMALLER fish, but larger species, even slow, "clumsy" fish like fancy goldfish, just need more room to grow. I was SHOCKED to learn that the 12" moor that was surrendered at my workplace had grown to that size in a 10 gallon tank. The fish was re-homed to a 55 with a large fantail and a few smaller fish.

This brings up a good point- you can certainly get a couple of fancy goldfish for your 29, and re-home them to a pond when they grow out a little.(I think Maddie alluded to this option earlier)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice