Question Stocking Goldfish Tank

PoseidonsAquarium

Reaction score
Hi, I have a bare-bottom 6ft tank that holds 500L (connected to an aqua one nautilus 2700 canister) & I was wondering how many fancy goldies I could stock in it once it's finished cycling. Also, how would you calculate the space required per goldfish? I've seen a few different answers when googling so I thought it'd be best to ask here. Thank you! :)

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just going by bioload and what I gathered from a conversation with a goldfish breeder lately... 2-3 fully grown fancy goldfish would be fine.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While there are other factors and jt shouldn’t be considered gospel, many people use Aqadvisor for calculating stocking. It’s a neat algorithm

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MacZ said:
Just going by bioload and what I gathered from a conversation with a goldfish breeder lately... 2-3 fully grown fancy goldfish would be fine.
This is a 132 gallon tank. You could easily triple that amount in my opinion. Add some emerged plants to help with bioload.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mimo91088 said:
This is a 132 gallon tank. You could easily triple that amount in my opinion. Add some emerged plants to help with bioload.
I usually work with liters. ;) I was surprised when that guy (breeding for 30 years) said a fully grown fancy goldfish needs almost 200 liters for itself. From what I've read before I would have estimated 100 per fish. But I guess there are some different standards between countries, too.

OP
P

PoseidonsAquarium

Reaction score
MacZ said:
I was hoping to get maybe 5 or so honestly, i guess once they grow it'll look less bare :D

OP
P

PoseidonsAquarium

Reaction score
TWiG87 said:
While there are other factors and jt shouldn’t be considered gospel, many people use Aqadvisor for calculating stocking. It’s a neat algorithm
thank you! ill definitely have a shot at it :)

New Threads