Stocking for South American 75 Gallon Community

Aunyua

I have a 75 gallon tank currently set up with:
•1 small Geophagus (species unknown, bought it at Petsmart)
•6 albino cories
•5 harlequin rasboras
•1 small angelfish

For plants, I have rosette swords, java ferns, java moss, anubias, vallisneria, red root floaters, and duckweed.

I plan on moving the rasboras to a 20 gallon and replacing them with tetras, as I’m going for a South American themed tank. I’m thinking about getting a school of diamond tetras, a school of black phantom tetras, and a clown pleco (I have wood for it).
I also want to get a Bolivian ram, but I’m not sure if it will fight the Geophagus for territory. Since my Geo is small, I’m worried a ram might beat it up.
Will this stocking work? Any changes I should make? Should I add more filtration?

Attachments

• 79069768-2A85-4192-A414-22BC622A5196.jpeg
    79069768-2A85-4192-A414-22BC622A5196.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 22

MacZ

First of all: Remove that cube thing. Death trap for many species, I see a cory getting stuck in it at some point.

Otherwise:
Please get a correct ID for the Geophagus, because some species can grow huge, and as they are still cichlids fish that fit in their mouth will get eaten at some point.

Bolivian rams are not the most aggressive of fish, neither are Geophagus, I doubt there will be aggression between them. But that's completely open until you have the Geophagus IDd. Technically a group of 4-5 would be possible in your tank size.

With the Tetras make sure they are good sized, not small juveniles.

Angels are actually gregarious, but can also be very aggressive among each other and to the rest of the tank when breeding. Angelfish in a group need different structures as the Geophagus, it would be hard to find a structural compromise in this tank size. You might have to decide which one you want to keep. For both species a 125 gallon might be the better choice.

Filtration is not everything. At all. If you have an approriate sized filter you're good.

Possible stocking:

- 2-3 Geophagus OR 5-6 Angelfish
- 8-10 Corydoras (yes, stock them up!)
- 10-15 black neons
- 8-10 diamond tetras
- 2-3 Panaqolus
(- 3-4 bolivian rams when compatability with the Geophagus is confirmed)

Aunyua

Thanks for your input! I thought black neons might be too small for geophagus/angelfish, but I’d definitely like to get some if they aren’t!
As for my Geophagus, I’ve been having trouble ID’ing it since it’s so young. However, I think it is part of the surinamensis complex. I’ll attach photos of it, if anyone has any ID suggestions that would be great!

Attachments

• CB4C7F53-730C-499D-9A5B-18F8D7F4D573.png
    CB4C7F53-730C-499D-9A5B-18F8D7F4D573.png
    860.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1DB73AA7-AEC5-482B-927E-DA99C0968447.jpeg
    1DB73AA7-AEC5-482B-927E-DA99C0968447.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 13

Noroomforshoe

I'm not sure if you considered how large a geophagous can get. Black phantom tetra will be a gourmet meal. The harlies are also in danger, And diomand tetra are not very large either. It is important that you find out what species it is, call the store and ask for a manager and ask what species they had in stock. It is best to keep 4-6 geophagus together. I do not know if the geo will get along with the angel as they both become major, but adding a third chichlid is asking for trouble.

Tankmates for the geos include largish, peaceful fish, my Geophagas topajays are doing well in a 55 gallon with Australian rainbowfish, yoyo and polka dot loaches, and electric blue acara, I have 2 Marineland 350s for filtration. Only you and your test strips can determine if your maintenance and filtration is enough, or if you need more. but always remember that just because you have more filrers, doesn't mean you can skimp on cleaning because poop in the filter is still in your water. and cleaning to filters can become tiring.

Aunyua

I'm not sure if you considered how large a geophagous can get. Black phantom tetra will be a gourmet meal. The harlies are also in danger, And diomand tetra are not very large either. It is important that you find out what species it is, call the store and ask for a manager and ask what species they had in stock. It is best to keep 4-6 geophagus together. I do not know if the geo will get along with the angel as they both become major, but adding a third chichlid is asking for trouble.

Tankmates for the geos include largish, peaceful fish, my Geophagas topajays are doing well in a 55 gallon with Australian rainbowfish, yoyo and polka dot loaches, and electric blue acara, I have 2 Marineland 350s for filtration. Only you and your test strips can determine if your maintenance and filtration is enough, or if you need more. but always remember that just because you have more filrers, doesn't mean you can skimp on cleaning because poop in the filter is still in your water. and cleaning to filters can become tiring.
Are there any tetras that would get large enough to be safe from being eaten by geos?

MacZ

Are there any tetras that would get large enough to be safe from being eaten by geos?
Hyphessobrycon eques, H. bentosi, H. wadai, H. erythrostigma, H. columbianus, H. minor, H. pulchripinnis, H. anisitsi... Moenkhausie pittieri, M. sanctaefilominae...

Just make sure they grow larger than 5-6cm and are rather high-backed.

I kept the black neons in the list as the species of Geophagus isn't fix yet.

And to be honest: I can't identify it. It still is indeed very young. You can keep it and risk getting a 20-25cm fish in the end for which the tank is definitely too small and which requires being kept in a group, OR rehome it, build a working tank and get through it quite stress free.

SamMe

Nice looking scape. Good luck with whatever stocking you decide.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Yannick6291739
Replies
Views
Jaquatic
Replies
Views
HansR1507
Replies