Stocking For New Tanks.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AQUA_LOVER, Apr 23, 2018.

1. AQUA_LOVERWell Known MemberMember

Looking to setup 2 new tanks. The first is a 5 gallon for a beta and 6 cory cats. I was hoping for a suggestion for something else to go with him. I was thinking 6 pseudomugils?

I am also looking to set up a 30 gal Angel fish tank. Are they hard to keep? My wife would like some butterfly fish and black knife fish.

What do people think?

2. TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Hello AQUA_LOVER!

Is the 5 gallon tank that you plan to setup for just the betta fish or for the betta fish AND 6 Cory catfish? A tank of that size will only really compensate the betta by itself. I would not put anything in that size tank aside from the betta. Adding in anymore fish than that would be considered overcrowding, which can result in ammonia spikes. The rule of thumb should be 1 inch fish per 1 gallon. Corydoras grow to be anywhere from 3 to 4 inches in length and because they do prefer to be in larger groups, they need a bit more room than that if you plan on adding in more fish. Young betta fish can, in some cases, go with other community fish but most stores sell fully grown betta fish. They can be aggressive, so it is typically best to keep them solitary, especially if they are male. However, a betta would be really happy in a 5 gallon tank by itself!

As for the angelfish, they are semi-aggressive fish and they are often territorial. Typically, they require very spacious tanks. Two angelfish may be suitable for a 30 gallon, but because of their need for territory, that would be your limit. Meaning that the pairing of angelfish alone requires 30 gallons(sometimes even 55 gallons) by themselves. They can be a tricky fish to work with if it's your first time and will sometimes kill off other smaller fish depending on the type of fish you choose.

Personally speaking, I would be careful and do as much research as possible.

Good luck with the tank setup!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

4. TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Okay. I was just going by what I know generally. Thank you for the information!

5. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Can't help much on the 30 gallon. But for the 5 gallon, I would say no on the pseudomongils. You do have some stocking issues on the 5 gallon if you'd like to discuss it.

6. AQUA_LOVERWell Known MemberMember

Sure what do you suggest

7. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

A 5 gallon is too small for corydoras. I would rehome them. Also, I wouldn't keep any fish with a betta in this tank size; it's too risky. You could do nerite snails.

8. AQUA_LOVERWell Known MemberMember

The tank doesn't exist yet. No issues yet

9. AQUA_LOVERWell Known MemberMember

Hi all, I am looking at the stocking page (aqadvisor) and I am going to be getting a NAtGeo 5 gal with a waterfall type filter, but I don't know what that is labeled as. Maybe I should make that my shrimp tank and leave the Betta in the 10 gal.

10. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Hm, waterfall type filter sounds like a HOB - hang on back - to me.

Imo, the betta will love being in the 10g, plus having a shrimp colony is a fun addition. I dont think you ve disappointed!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice