Stocking For My 29 Gallon

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Clancey, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, I currently have a 29 gallon tank stocked with an apistogramma agassizii double red pair, 10 black neon tetras, 5 otocinclus, and 2 nerite snails. Plants are amazon sword, kleiner bar sword, italian val, cryptocryne, anubis, rotola indica, and ambulia, (also trying to start dwarf sag carpet). My soil is fluval stratum. PH is about 6.3 and temperature is about 80. Any other fish I could add to this. Love the fish tank so much but still feels like its lacking something. Thanks and have a blessed day

Attached Files:

2. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    1 year
    I always do this, I have a perfectly good happy aquarium and feel it's lacking something, then that something causes trouble and I have to shuffle fish around to get equilibrium. I think if you're gonna add something i'd just increase the numbers of your schools, add more oto's and Black Neon's. You could double the numbers if you wanted.

3. OP
    OP
    Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    That's what my plan was but wanted to see if anyone had some cool ideas! Maybe shrimp was another thing I was thinking

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,222
    Your tank is fully stocked imo.

5. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have no experience with Appisto's but I imagine they would eat shrimp.

6. MD_Plants

MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Agreed. I would add 3 more fish MAX. you could add more when the plants grow larger but for now i would wait.

7. sr2z

sr2zNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The amount of fish that can happily live in a tank really depends on the amount of live plants. Plants help the nitrogen cycle a lot. I wouldn´t keep more than five small fish in a plantless 30 gal. If your plant are thriving, you could double the tetras and otocinclus.

8. MD_Plants

MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Well... No with a proper filter you can keep more then 5 small fish in a 30. Plants don’t “help” the nitrogen cycle, they are just a part of it. They are part of the nitrogen fixation process.

You do have a point about being based on the amount of live plants. More live plants more fish you can keep.

9. sr2z

sr2zNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ok, I guess that you are right. I have a 30 gal HEAVILY planted tank and NO filter as an experiment for a year now and no problems with water parameters or fish. So plants help a lot. :emoji_thumbsup:

10. OP
    OP
    Clancey

ClanceyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
  11. sr2z

sr2zNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You could try it but success is not guaranteed... They can get 2.5 inches big and are quite messy