Stocking For My 29 Gallon Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cherie G, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Cherie G

Cherie G Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I will be re-homing my male betta as soon as his new tank has been cycled, so I am planning on what fish I would like next for my 29 gallon community tank. Fish already in this tank are:
    5 zebra danios
    4 corydora leucomelas
    2 amano shrimp

I will be switching over to sand substrate from smooth gravel, have 1 large & 1 small piece of drift wood with many places to swim through and/or hide & many artificial plants of various sizes. Also I have a few smaller rocks which make a little cave, but plenty of space to swim. In the future I would like some live plants as well. Filter is the hang on the back type. That being said, I was wondering if the below fish and quantities would be ok in my tank. I did some research and found fish I thought would be a good fit and spoke to someone at my LFS about quantities.

6 cherry barbs
    1 Bolivian Ram
    1 Honey Gourami

I am afraid of over-stocking and harming fish so would appreciate any advice. That many fish seems like a lot for the size tank I have so I wanted to get your thoughts. I am open to suggestions for other types of fish or different configurations etc. Thanks!

2. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Corydoras need to be in a group of 6+ in order to fully thrive. Same goes for the zebra danios as well.

You may be overstocked with the corys, cherry barbs and the danios. Maybe take out the barbs or the danios (so you still have a bottom-dwelling cory).

With a 29, maybe have just one centerpiece fish. I think you'd have to choose between the Honey Gouramis and Bolivian Ram.

I can't help you much here, but @Anders247 or @TexasDomer should take over.

3. brooklynmv

brooklynmv New Member Member

If you're worried about over stocking, check out aqadvisor.com ! You enter the type and quantity of fish and the parameters of your tank. It will tell you if you've overstocked :)

As for Corydoras being in a group, I've had them in groups of 3 and the Zebra Danios have been in groups less than 6 and have done fine. They may thrive "better" in groups of 6 but in my experience they have done perfectly fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would do this:
    8 zebra danios
    8 cherry barbs
    8 cories (make sure they are all leucomelas)
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 bolivian ram
    2 amano shrimp

Aqadvisor is inaccurate, and also I disagree about fish groups. Schooling fish will be much happier in groups of 6+ of their own species.

Cories may seem fine in a small group but they should really be in groups of 12+, 6 or more is bare minimum. Zebra danios are known to be aggressive in groups of 4 or less, as I myself have found out.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    Cherie G

Great information, thanks everyone! Really appreciate it. I think I am going to have to give up on my LFS for advice as they seem to keep steering me wrong. Oh well fortunately I have found the Fish Lore community!

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you'd be okay to do a pair of Bolivians with Anders's stocking.

7. OP
    OP
    Cherie G

Sounds like a plan to me! :) Thanks again everyone for the advice.

(Once Betta is re-homed) I was thinking of adding 3-4 fish, then waiting a few weeks to make sure everything is stable and then adding 3-4 more if all is good and so on until I have the community I want. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action?

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds good!

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds good to me too!

10. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Don't forget to quarantine your new fish.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  11. aquatickeeper

Agree, always quarantine!

12. OP
    OP
    Cherie G

Glad the quarantine suggestion was brought up, will do. Thanks everyone!

13. aquatickeeper

You're welcome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice