Stocking for looonnnggg 11.5 gallon tank

Unknown9182

I finally setup my new wall mounted tank and added decor to it.
84D23B15-7A7B-4403-9F98-6625E1278BBF.jpeg
I was wondering if a school of kuhli loaches would work well, a school of small tetras or rasboras. Cherry shrimp and baby bristlenose pleco fry (I got them from breeding my BN plecos).

KingOscar

So that tank is mounted flush in the wall, and is only11.5 gallons? What are the dimensions? Looks nice. More pics please!

Ouse

I’m really curious about the dimensions (length, width and height). That tank (and the decor) looks huge for an 11ish gallon. Normally I would advise against your suggestions, but the strange dimensions could save you, so I would like to know.

The substrate is quite chunky, so I would advise against the loaches.

Unknown9182

I’m really curious about the dimensions (length, width and height). That tank (and the decor) looks huge for an 11ish gallon. Normally I would advise against your suggestions, but the strange dimensions could save you, so I would like to know.

The substrate is quite chunky, so I would advise against the loaches.
The tanks width is quite skinny: 4.5 inches and the heighth is 8 inches. The rocks barely fit in but they make an open path behind them for smaller fish (left rock), the one on the right has a path behind it as well. The substrate i used is eco-plant granite substrate, its about the same size as your average aquarium gravel. The plants i have in there are anubias, java fern, and cryptocoryene. I had to cut up one piece of spider driftwood into 3 smaller pieces.
Length is 5 feet and 4 inches.
Edit: The lighting has 3 modes, blue and white, blue red green, and blue red green and white. Its perfect for plants.

Unknown9182

Does anyone know any good, colorful but small schooling fish?

veggieshark

Danio species would be happy with the long swim space I think.

Unknown9182

Danio species would be happy with the long swim space I think.
Thats an interesting option but i have had issues taking care of them in the past.

Pfrozen

Beckford's pencilfish sp. 'red' might be an option. I've kept them in a standard 10g project tank in the past and they weren't thriving with that footprint. Should be okay with 5 feet of swimming space though. They are doing incredible in my 3 foot tank now. These guys are unpredictable though, make sure to do your research

veggieshark

Thats an interesting option but i have had issues taking care of them in the past.
That is strange because zebrafish are one of the easiest fish. There may be many fish that will be ok with the shallow water (e.g. those living in rice fields or puddles in the wild), but I think you need to take the advantage of the length and have a dynamic species. Your tank of course, maybe a very long nano tank approach, with a lot of Boraras and shrimp.

Unknown9182

I was thinking of cherry shrimp, maybe like a big school of rasboras or neon tetras. Maybe some pygmy corys or kuhli loaches.

FishDin

Have you tried the smaller Danio's like the Glowlight, Gold Ring, Emerald Dwarf etc? They are very hardy and active and would love the long tank.

Unknown9182

Have you tried the smaller Danio's like the Glowlight, Gold Ring, Emerald Dwarf etc? They are very hardy and active and would love the long tank.
I did zebras, would celestials work? Or should i go with rasboras or neon tetras. Or some smaller tetra variety.

veggieshark

I think in this case less is more. A single species (maybe two) would work better than a community.

Frank the Fish guy

I would put Killifish in there!

Killifish live in tidal ponds and are very comfortable naturally in small confined spaces like this. They will thrive in this tank.

If Killifish are new to you, I recommend you try some Gardneri Killifish. They will breed in here and you can grow your own community. There are many varieties of Gardneri, FUNDULOPANCHAX GARDNERI would be great for this tank.

You don't need to to hatch the fish. You can buy young adults. Get a male and a few females, and it will be a party!

Wonderful fish and they will appreciate and thrive in this tank.

Hellfishguy

7 or 8 Danio choprae in your tank would make a lovely display.

Blacksheep1

I second killifish ! Lyretails have a longer life span and lovely colours. Nothobranchius rachovi are stunning but can be aggressive .

Unknown9182

So far i have added 4 ramshorn snails, 1 ghost shrimp, and 4 baby bn pleco. They are all doing good. I think this tank is on an accelerated nitrogen cycle because the substrate came pre-cycled with bacteria and I also added my bio wheel from my 36 gallons to sit in the tank for a couple of hours.
I still have a lot more baby bn plecos to add, maybe like 15 or so. Im thinking of adding a small school of kuhli loaches, and a school of celestial danios or neon tetras or myabe something else that catches my eye. I know i will add cherry shrimp.

Unknown9182

Okay, I have stocked my tank. I currently have added 6 cardinal tetras (will add more), 6 cherry shrimp, 5 panda corys, and 1 big Amano shrimp. There is also 26 baby bn pleco fry, when they get bigger I will give them away (this is a growout tank), a bunch of rams horn snails, and 1 baby least killifish I found in my puffer tank.

Natalie666

That is a beautiful tank! I feel like a nice school of CPDS or zebra danios would look cool like everyone else, but you said you’ve had some trouble with them. Maybe a school of chili rasabora or ember tetra? I feel like a warm colored fish would pop nicely in that setup

Unknown9182

That is a beautiful tank! I feel like a nice school of CPDS or zebra danios would look cool like everyone else, but you said you’ve had some trouble with them. Maybe a school of chili rasabora or ember tetra? I feel like a warm colored fish would pop nicely in that setup
I was thinking of that but couldn’t find any so I chose cardinal tetras with pandas corys and cherry shrimp.

8B4308E7-C7F9-451F-BD53-096C51310AD7.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Unknown9182
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe