Stocking For Established 20g Long

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MattS99, Apr 15, 2017.

1. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Hello! I currently have 5 Colombian tetras, a guppy and a platy, both male. I know that it's not the best, but I do not want any more livebearers. I also would like to avoid any type of gourami, as I've had quite a few before. I'd ideally like to have one larger, solitary fish, but I'd really try anything. I went to a new LFS today (My local one closed recently) and the guy suggested adding either 5-6 African cichlids, a blood parrot cichlid, or an electric blue acara. Which I know is completely wrong, and I left the place pretty much right after that. Sorry for ranting and being so picky. Thanks for your suggestions, and I'll keep you guys posted on what I do. Thanks again!

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe one or two Bolivian rams?

3. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Saw those, interested in them. Just interested in cichlids in general as I've never kept them before. That's probably why he threw all of those ideas at me in the store.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would add more Colombian tetras, to 7-8. It'll be a little tight with the larger schooling fish, but it should be okay.

After that, you could add a pair of Bolivian rams? Or another dwarf cichlid, like a pair of one of the more outgoing Apistos.

5. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I do enjoy the Colombians, but they're impossible to find. I'm pretty much relying on my Petco and PetSmart for now. Shame my regular LFS closed.

6. OP
    OP
    MattS99

By the way, anyone have any recommendations for a more outgoing apisto? I'd love to do some kind of cichlid, if possible.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Apistogramma cacatuoides might be a good choice!

8. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Just heard about them in another thread. I really like them, probably my favorite of my options right now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice