Stocking for a small tank with algae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay so iv got a 20 gallon with some guppies, SAE and 1 small Common pleco witch will be moved when he is bigger, but recently i hvae notced lots of algae, what could i add to help with the problem?
Sam

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure what SAE stands for but is this the tank that you have in your aquarium info with all the fish?

-7 guppys
-1 molly
-1 loach
-1 rainbow shark
-1 dojo loach
-1 cherry barb
-6 neon tetras
-2 kribs
-2 german rams
-2 indian gourami
-3 spotted headstanders

OP
S

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Noo, Not that tank. Thats One of my others. I Just have'nt listed it in my aquarium info yet because im sorting out some other old tanks that used to belong to friends. Ive gone a bit tank crazy and purchased 3 in a month. This Tank is 20 gallon with Just Guppies, Common Plec and SAE. The Algae is Green algae, iv tried reducing the light but its not helping so any fish that enjoy eating algae, not a CAE because i had some befor and didnt like them.
Thanks
Sam

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well first off I'd take your common pleco back to the store and trade him in for a smaller pleco like a bristlenose or something along those lines. How many guppies do you have in the tank? Maybe get some snails or some otos they'd have the tank clean in no time.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You are already overstocked. A common pleco should be in a minimum of 55 gallons. They get big and produce a lot of waste.

How many guppies?

Personally, I'm not a fan of SAEs. If it's an established tank that's been cycled for at least 6 months, I would take the pleco and SAE back, and get a school of otos.

OP
S

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Iv Got a Bigger Tank for the common plec but its not set up yet, he's smaller than my guppys. 7 guppys in the tank.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't matter really how large or small the pleco is regaurdless for his size he produces a lot of waste for his size and I have no doubt that your ammonia levels are out the roof. You could get a snail or so to help but personally I'd just take the pleco back and get a BN I believe they're more active regaurdless but I don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom