Stocking for a common goldfish over its lifetime?

1. V

Vamonkea New Member Member

Hi! I currently have a young common goldfish in a 20 gallon tank. It is around 2 inches long at the moment, and has been growing since I got him about two months ago.

I know that 100 gallons is the correct tank size for an adult goldfish. My parents really prefer that I upgrade over time, though. Is there any reference for a correlation between a goldfish's length as it ages and the gallons they need?

Thank you for your time!

2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Well, keeping it in a too-small tank will stunt its growth, so by keeping it in the 20 gallon it might not seem to get too big for its tank, because it simply stops growing. However, this process is uncomfortable for the fish because while the body stops growing, the organs don't.

I'd say get a larger tank as soon as you can. Common goldfish ideally should be kept in ponds.

3. OP
    OP
    V

Understood. Thank you for your reply! I was considering upgrading to a 50 gal in the next 3 days or so. Will that suffice for now? I don't want to stunt his growth.

My dad was pretty happy about learning that they should be kept in ponds. After he read more into it, he decided that wasn't something he wanted to pursue. He read a lot of stories about fish being eaten as well as hearing it directly from a family friend and her pond. I'm also concerned about the temperature. Summers easily reach triple digits here. Are either of those things to be worried about/avoidable? If not, he is willing to get a 100 gallon tank.

Sorry about asking so many questions.

4. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

I'm not an expert on goldfish but the 50 gallon may be alright for a while, but like I said earlier aim for the largest tank possible. Goldfish are also messy eaters and massive waste producers, so you also need overfiltration.

I don't have a pond either so I can't answer any of that, sorry! You could make a separate thread with your questions to get better answers :)

5. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Which 50? The top fin 48"•13" or the breeder base 36"•18"?

6. OP
    OP
    V

Either breeder base 50 gallon or a 55 gallon 48 x 13. My choices are limited to what petco has in stock though because of their sale, and I haven't gone to petco to check in a while.

7. Grimund

I'd aim for the 75 if they are participating with those (select stores). Longer before you upgrade. I do know the 55 is a better 48" tank over the 48" 50. The 50 breeder would suffice for a while I'd imagine.

Use sand and avoid gravel, BTW

8. OP
    OP
    V

I'll look for either a 75 gallon at 48.5 x 18.5 or a 50 gallon at 36 x 18. I'll try to call up different petcos to see if they have 75 gallons on sale with their 50 gallon tanks. I'll make sure to avoid gravel!

Thank you a ton for your help!

9. Grimund

Just passing on what I've learned of golds. I've never kept any myself.

They don't have stomachs, which is why they eat and poop so much. Gravel gets lodged preventing them from eating.

Like Aster said, over filtration is something to aim for. They produce lots of waste

10. OP
    OP
    V

Understood. I'm used to hearing the 10gph for each gallon rule for goldfish, and I have that on his current tank! Does gph stack up? Say, if I had two 250gph filters, would that have the same effect as one 500gph filter?

11. Grimund

Pretty much. Canisters I'd aim for 7.5x or better, HOB 12x or better for gold. Ideally 8-9 for cans and 15 for HOB

12. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

There is a goldfish sub forum which should have people better able to help. CindiL has kept goldfish and I know @ Flowingfins has fancies. Great that you dad is okay with such a big tank for such a basic little fish. .

13. Grimund

I forgot about that. I'm on mobile and watch the unread feed. I always forget about different sections.

I would agree though

14. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, I have kept goldfish and currently have a pond with some. What is important for goldfish, especially commons and comets is the horizontal swimming room. I would opt for a longer, narrower tank over a shorter, wider/deeper tank so they have room to swim. One common would be very happy over his life in the 48" tank. Though, I have to say that goldfish are pretty social and do better with other fish. If your dad is willing to get the 100g I say go for it and have 2 or 3 in there for life. :)

15. Grimund

Just trying to keep fish length in mind too for turning space. 55 gallon seems far too narrow to me, but I'm still getting a handle on proper measurement for larger fish. Also noting the upgrading later on as mentioned.

16. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Ideally you'd have both so the 75g (or a 100) would be a better choice. Fancies have a harder time turning due to their deep body structure then commons. Comets (which is what most pet stores carry in the U.S.) can end up with tails as long as their bodies so though they may get to 14" (which would be very large and I doubt most will get that long), the tail could easily be half of that so most tanks would suffice for turning room. But at that length you can see why horizontal room for swimming is the most important for their longer, thinner body (compared to both the fancy varieties and even the common).

17. OP
    OP
    V

Understood. Thank you everyone for your replies! Unfortunately, after church today, my father took me out to get the tank and I was sleeping/getting ready for church during your discussion on tank sizes.

The largest that the store had was the 48" 55 gal tank, and now it is empty on a table, waiting for the filter to arrive. Next upgrade, a 100 gal sounds really cool! The tanks are going out of my funds though, and I don't quite have the 900 dollars that I see a lot of 100 gals going for. Are there cheaper alternatives? Am I looking at overpriced tanks?

Would 100 gals really be enough for two adult slim bodied goldfish? I've read sources saying that it is enough for only one.

Should this thread be moved to the goldfish subsection? Stocking looked like the right one to me since I did not know there was a goldfish subsection.

Thank you for your time!

18. Grimund

There's always the option of the Internet. EBay has them used, but for pick up only. I've just did a quick Google to get a grasp on prices and a used one with stand showed up for 300. Maybe placing an ad in the local paper/Craigslist with your maximum allowance is an option.

19. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You can't have 2 or 3 common goldfish in a 100g. They get 1-2 feet.

20. OP
    OP
    V

Thank you for the suggestion, Grimund! I'll try looking into used aquariums.

Understood, Sarah73. I will keep only one in the future 100g. Thank you for your advice!