Stocking For A 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ruby_house, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Ruby_house

Ruby_houseValued MemberMember

Iv'e been pretty indecisive on how im going to stock a future 55 gallon planted tank and i was wondering if this stocking would work?

• 12 cherry babrs
    • 10 diamond tetras
    • 3 honey gouramis
    • 1 angelfish
    • 1 nerite snail
    • 5-6 oto catfish
    If the stocking is okay could i add anything else to it? like a school of cory cats, a pair of dwarf cichilds or anything else?

2. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I would get an even number of angels to curb their aggression.

3. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

the only thing is that they only seem to sell small angelfish where i live so i wouldnt be able to sex them 100%

4. MattS99

Do you have a good LFS, or a chain like PetCo or PetSmart?

5. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

I have a good LFS and a couple chain petstores around, if i got a pair wouldnt breeding cause aggression? and i wouldnt know what to do with the babies

6. MattS99

Breeding probably would, I assume. If you're so worried about angels, why not just get something else?

7. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

Would you have any suggestions for a centerpiece fish?

8. MattS99

I've personally been into dwarf cichlids lately. GBR, Bolivian Ram, Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, Umbrella Dwarf Cichlid come to mind.

9. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

Id love to have GBR but im a little fearful of getting them due how fragile they can be.. id have to look around for the others

10. MattS99

Bolivian Rams are pretty similar. I think they look better than GBRs and are a lot less fragile. I'm considering adding one to my community.

11. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Angel fish can do perfectly fine without another angel fish. In fact a pair of angel fish can at times be aggressive in a community tank due to breeding.

PS: I am also going to tag @TexasDomer for you who is pretty good at stocking.

12. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

So if i were to get a single angelfish he/she would be fine with the rest of the fish in the community?

13. MattS99

If the angel thinks it can eat something, it will try to.

14. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

but pretty much all the fish in the tank will be around 2 inches would that still cause a problem?

15. MattS99

I doubt it. Maybe the otocinclus, but I REALLY doubt it.

16. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The stock is fine, but I'm pretty sure the shrimp will be eaten. Plus, you can fit more than what you have listed.

17. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

yeah im gonna be keeping the shrimp in the smaller tank, would you have any recomendations to what i could add to the stocking i listed?

18. MattS99

Anders will have to check me on this, but maybe a few platys? Could do all male if you don't want to deal with fry. Peaceful, easy to take care of, big enough that an angel shouldn't mess with it.

19. OP
    OP
    Ruby_house

if i do add male platies how many do you think i could add 3-4?

20. MattS99

I've found with all male livebearers, you're more successful and less aggressive with even numbers. Not to be cocky, but I do consider myself a bit of an expert on livebearers, I've had more of them than anything else.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice