Stocking For A 40 Gallon?

1. Rxo_c

Rxo_c Valued Member Member

Hello!

So, I have just been gifted a 40-gallon tank with a stand. I am unsure of the dimensions as of yet since I have to go pick it up at my sister in law's parent's house. I was just wondering what would be a good stocking Idea. It's funny how fast I went from no tanks to plenty of tanks lol! I currently have two 10 gallon tanks. One is a grow out tank for my 3-inch axolotl, I was planning on buying a 20 long for him soon. The other holds 3 tiger barbs. I was thinking of switching one or the other to the 40 gallons. If I switch my axie over....the tank must hold only my axie and maybe a future axie. However, I also know my barbs would be very happy in the 40 gallons as I was thinking of bringing them back to the shop since my 10 gallon is not suitable (I did not know this when I got them). Not sure what to do. I could just move the fish and buy the 20 long for my axie.....what would be a good pairing for the barbs?

2. V

VeggieGuppies New Member Member

Mollies may be a good choice. You may be able to get some albino tigers as well.

3. Sawyer9011

Sawyer9011 New Member Member

Hi, I am new to the form and hobby. Hear are some small fish that can work: Long Finned Gold Zebra Danio, Dwarf Gouramis, Guppys and Platys. (all fish listed are 2-3in)
    The Long Finned Gold Zebra Danio, are not that colorfull but still vary nice looking.

4. OP
    OP
    Rxo_c

Would they get along with Tiger barbs? I have 3 right now... I would probably get 3 more to make sure the are happy.

5. M-Stokes

M-Stokes Valued Member Member

Don't get long finned fish, your tiger barbs with chew their fins off.
    You should put the barbs in the 40 gallon and up their school to atleast 12. The more barbs you have will lower chance of fin nipping. After that maybe one angelfish but not the kind with a long veil and one pearl gourami. Then for the bottom a school of maybe 7 corydoras, 2 bolivian rams, and a bristlenose pleco.

6. OP
    OP
    Rxo_c

That sounds nice!