Stocking For A 40 Gallon Breeder?

Popcornlover15

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Any ideas, I have a male golden wonder killifish in it but he's still really small.
I was thinking about adding 2 female golden wonder killifish, 12 tiger barbs, and two rams or dwarf cichlid?
Any other suggestion for what I should keep with him or any concerns with putting him with tiger barbs?
What rams/ dwarf cichlids should I get? I was thinking apistogramma macmasteri right now but I also like blue and gold rams if anyone has any experience with them and their behavior?

Thanks!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want to center the tank around your killifish; i’d really reconsider the whole stocking list you mentioned. With killifish id maybe do some other smaller fish like a whole bunch of cpd and maybe smaller corys like pandas or Pygmys. If you want to do a large school of tiger barbs maybe try a couple rainbows or some other mediumship size fish that doesn’t have flowing fins

Popcornlover15

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want to center the tank around your killifish; i’d really reconsider the whole stocking list you mentioned. With killifish id maybe do some other smaller fish like a whole bunch of cpd and maybe smaller corys like pandas or Pygmys. If you want to do a large school of tiger barbs maybe try a couple rainbows or some other mediumship size fish that doesn’t have flowing fins
Ehh I wouldn’t want to do celestial pearl danios or Pygmy corydoras because killifish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so basically anything under 2 inches. He’s also super aggressive so that’s why I thought tiger barbs would be a good fit.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had to look up that species of killi wow I had no idea there were killis that reached 4”; so yea nano fish not a good idea. You could try tiger barbs I’ve never had good luck with them in a community tank thusly don’t recommend them as such. They are amazing though I have 15-19 in a 40B hard to pinpoint an exact number as they are all over the place lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom