Stocking for a 40 gallon breeder Aquarium - Page 3

NoahLikesFish

Ok so I saw a 65 dollar 40g breeder when I was on Facebook the other day and Im getting it in a couple days. i am trying to find stocking ideas for the tank. Currently I have 3 peppered Cory (Plautus) and here is my setup, a sponge filter rated for 80g with a pump rated to 100g. Also I have a 200 watt heater which I will use. I want this tank to be dirted due to the fact I have excess soil and sand from making a shrimp bowl. Feel free to give me other advice too I am still relatively new to the hobby but I’m well invested in it right now.

40 gallon breeder (WIP) 10 gallon 5 gallon shrimp bowl

jkkgron2

Everything sounds good except I would only keep one angelfish and one eba. If either of the pairs breed you could have some aggression issues. While angelfish prefer to be in groups they can do good on their own.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

That should be fine as long as you get one of the bigger corys species (at least 2 inches). Although you might have some aggression problems against the eba if and when the angels start to breed.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Could I do same gender pairs?

Upvote 0

Coradee

Threads have been merged

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

2 female angelfish may spawn and produce unfertilized eggs, but they might still have the same aggressive breeding behavior. Just 2 male angelfish may result in one angel being heavily bullied, and they won't pair up at all.

Not sure about the acaras, but because angels and blue acaras have similar breeding behavior it might be the same thing.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Oh ok

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

I would do one or the other.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I’d say 3 or 4 adult new world Cichlids that grow to max 5”. They each need some space and compatibility is not guaranteed. Overstocking to control aggression does not work with them as it does for some African Rift Lake Cichlids. What species does your friend keep and do you have any pics? It’s unusual for that type of setup to be planted.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Throw cool ideas that would take some effort but look amazing in the end, I don’t want just a school of a tetra throw unique things at me

My idea was doing a naturalistic biotope of my pond with sunfish and minnows

Anyone?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Shell dwellers, shrimp colony, pea puffer community, betta sorority? What are your interests?
Yes! Shell dwellers are awesome! I just got a 20g for them and I absolutely adore them They have great personalities and they have cool colors, depending on the species.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

I have cories so they need to possibly be able to live with em

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Peacock gudgeon
Rapids tank (Humpheads, teleogramma, congo tetras, etc.)
Mudskipper tank
Archerfish tank
Tropheus tank
Monocirrhus polyacanthus tank
Pike cichlid tank

A tank with just crabs?

Although surprisingly easy to care for, a tank with blind cave tetras would be interesting. If you want a challenge you could somehow try to mimic their natural habitat.

Belonesox belizanus, Xenentodon cancila, Ctenolucius hujeta, and other pike-like fish make interesting predator additions to some tanks.

Many of these cannot live with cories.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

What of those can live in a 40 gsl

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

What of those can live in a 40 gsl
All the fish that I mentioned can fit in a 40 gal except maybe the acherfish and some of the larger pike cichlid species.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Oh ok, would a smaller archer species work?, they have to school

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Oh ok, would a smaller archer species work?, they have to school
Maybe a small group of 3-4 small scale acherfish could work with a 40 gallon, although they like to be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6. So 40 gallons for 3-4 is already pushing it for a fish that spend its life moving around a lot, but if you want to keep them in a proper group size you would at least need a tank of 50-55 gallons.

Upvote 0

John58ford

Full 3D background, sides and foreground of a cave-scape.

Upvote 0

John58ford

For blind cave tetras?
Cave tetra and maybe a dragon eel or similar. This would be a challenge for me to do I'm sure. It would be most impressive to get to look upon someone else's work. I've only seen this done well once, and sadly I wasn't able to take pictures. I was told the key to keep the glass clean was making the 3d foreground stalactites and stalagmites weighted and keyed so you could lift it out and tooth brush it while cleaning the glass.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies