Stocking for a 3 gallon temperarily

1. A

AllHallowsEve31 Valued Member Member

So, I have a 3 gallon that I am using for quarantine for 2 ADFs, and I do daily water changes. Would It be okay if I also put in my betta as well? I currently have him in a 1 gallon, and I think he would appreciate the space as well as make water changes more convenient for me. Thanks!

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

How much longer will the ADFs be in QT?

3. OP
    OP
    A

about 4 weeks

4. BornThisWayBettas

I think if possible it would be best to wait until you remove the ADFs from the tank before placing the betta in there. Compatibility wise though, it's all just a maybe, it might work or it might not, depends on the betta. Do you plan to use this tank for future ADF QT?

5. OP
    OP
    A

My betta is the most mild mannered betta that I have had. I put him in with the adfs during his water change and he didn't even pay attention to them. He was more preoccupied with his reflection on the glass lol. But do you think it would be fine to keep him in there? I do 50% wc everyday and use Seachem Prime. thanks!

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It's the ADFs, not the betta, I'd be worried about. They have been known to bite bettas tails.
    And that has nothing to do with the betta's personality....

7. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Also, I believe ADF's need to be in species only tanks. They have weak eyesight so it will be hard for them to compete for food with other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Anders247

Yep, that's another thing....

9. BornThisWayBettas

Well, he did say that this is a QT tank for the ADFs, so I'm guessing not a permanent home for them.......

10. Anders247

3 ADFs would need at least a 7.5g, as it's 1 per 2.5 gallons.... (I know it's temporary, just saying so he knows what size tank to get). 4 in a 10g.

11. OP
    OP
    A

yeah, eventually I am going to move the frogs and betta into a 10 gallon (once it is cycled).

12. BornThisWayBettas

Since ADFs do better in species-only tanks, I might keep the betta in the 3g and keep the frogs in the 10g, that way, you could have four frogs. Just my two cents. :)

13. OP
    OP
    A

ahh I will definitely give that some thought!