Stocking for a 20 gallon hex?

Gage6

So I’ve set up a heavily planted 20 gallon hex, with some Italian Vallisneria, Water Wistera, Amazon Swords, and Rotala indica. Everything is doing great and the plants are really starting to fill out the height of the tank. (Dimensions 19.1 In L x 16.6 in W x 24.4 in H). My only concern is with the stocking for the tank. I know hexes are notoriously hard to stock so this one has been a little difficult for me in terms of decisions. Understand the height is not necessarily desired when it comes to picking out a tank as vertical swimming space is valued more. However, my initial plans for the tank were to have only mystery snails as I really don’t like the idea of less vertical room for fish. I’ve seen some people suggest Pea puffers, which I quite like although I understand that you cannot stock the snails with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m pretty set on the mystery snail only tank as I feel like this will just be better for the inhabitants but if anyone thinks that there are fish that could possibly be stocked in here that would open up some doors.

BigManAquatics

You may be able to get by with something on the smaller variety like harlequin or chili rasboras or maybe clown killifish or emebers, something like that. Most danios are maybe a bit too active for that length though.

Aunyua

I’m sure shrimp would love your heavily planted tank! Maybe cherry or amanos. They’d go well with the snails since they would both need calcium supplements for there shells. I agree that a school of smaller fish could work like smaller tetras (neons or embers). You might be able to do a dwarf gourami with some corydoras (preferably the dwarf varieties). You could also do a single clown pleco if you like how they look.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ybinson
Replies
Views
Mii
  • Question
Replies
Views
Platylover
  • Question