Stocking for a 150G

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by hatred27, Jul 21, 2015.

1. h

hatred27 Valued Member Member

I'm upgrading from my 55g to a 150g soon. I currently have the following;
    1x Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
    1x Reg Jack Dempsey
    1x Green Terror
    1x Electric Blue Acara
    1x Firemouth
    1x Red-tailed Shark
    1x Jewel Cichlid

I'm curious what else I could get. I'm hesitant to go with some of the fish I want because of how huge they get.. Like a red terror.. (such a beautiful fish) but I was looking at possibly an eartheater or maybe an oscar. Kind of hesitant on oscars because of how fast they grow. Currently my biggest fish is my Green Terror at roughly 4". Any suggestions on possible good additions, would be nice.

2. p

peacelizard Valued Member Member

I've never owned one personally, but I have a feeling a Red Terror might be too aggressive for some of those fish and bully them.

What about some severums?

3. pritam

pritam Valued Member Member

look..most of your fishes are aggressive. so you need fish with same temper.
    severum is a semi aggressive fish and can get large enough.
    i think green texas will work in this case.
    you can also add severum but be cautious.
    oscar will also work...but be sure the size should be same as your green terror.

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I'd look for bottom dwellers and some schooling fish. I would not get anymore cichlids. You have plenty for a 150. And, some of them like the acara and EBJD are not as aggressive as the others.

Silvers dollars would work for schooling fish, and bichirs, smaller ones, should work on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    h

Ok. I've thought about what you've said. I'm thinking about leaving my electric blue acara and jack dempseys in the 55g and moving all the other fish to a 150g. Probably going to add an oscar and a severum though. I might not get an oscar, but I really like the look of a rotkeil severum. Anyways, if I had a school.. I'm not sure if I'd do silver dollars or rosy barbs.

6. BDpups

Rotkeil Sevs are the bomb! I love them. Rosy barbs should work too. And if you leave the acara and EBJD out, I think you could have an oscar and sev.

7. OP
    OP
    h

Yeah its a beautiful fish. I was looking up other cichlids that get fairly big and that was the one I liked. I'm also considering leaving my firemouth out. Hes the wuss of the tank and hes one of the 2 originals (the other being the green terror). I could keep the firemouth in the with the electric blues. Outside of an oscar, is there any others that you'd recommend?

8. BDpups

Depends on if you need to buy local or can get something shipped.

9. OP
    OP
    h

Shipped

10. BDpups

Then I would look, and then buy from Jeff Rapps.

See what he has. And if you have something in mind that is not on his list, call him. He is really nice, and can get things that might not be listed. Never hurts to ask.

I like Amphilophus . I would get one from him. His Midas are amazing. And not hybrids. Pure wild strains is all he handles. But of course he sells the offspring from them. Nothing wrong with an F1 Midas.

But there are many Amps. Google Amphilophus and see if they interest you. Trimacs are amazing too. They all are....

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  11. OP
    OP
    h

I really like amphilophus robertsoni

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice