Stocking for 5gal

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ogskive, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Ogskive

Ogskive New Member Member

Hello, I have a 5gal tank that has been replaced with larger tanks, but I am looking to start it up again. I'd like to have a Pygmy Gourami but I don't know what else to keep or if I can keep anything else. Any ideas?

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

A Betta would be good along with a nerite snail.

Or Cherry Shrimp would be fun.

I think one very small gourami would work instead of a betta. The honeys are small though I don't know if you should ever keep one in a 5g. Someone else will have to comment on that.

3. tanksalot

tanksalot New Member Member

Hi! Okay so I would suggest if you wanted to put a Pygmy Gourami in that five gallon, it might be a teensy bit small but if it was by itself it might be okay. (I mean you could definitely also have a Nerite snail but no other large fish.) But as stated before, a betta would also be fine! Maybe a TINY guppy, not sure. Just have fun with it:)- shrimps and snails will definitely be fun!

4. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

also suggest a betta.
    If it is a gentle one you might be lucky enough to also have some cherry shrimp in there.

Have a 5.5 with this combo (betta did not behave in my 33G,
    but does not mind having RCS as company).

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

My betta ate my RCS but does alright with the larger ghost shrimp :)

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not do a Trichopsis sp gourami (pygmy/sparkling gourami) in this size tank, nor a honey gourami.
    A licorice gourami may work, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice