55 Gallon Tank Stocking for 55 gallon long

kavetradarnell

I just upgraded from a 20L to a 55L currently the 55l is stocked with 5 Zebra Danio, 1 Dwarf Gouromi, 3 Emerald Corys and 1 MickyMouse Platty. I want to add:
3 Emerald Corys
1 Spotted Raphael AKA Talking Catfish
1 Longfin Bristlenose
3 Blue Variegated Guppy ( Males)

Will my tank be over stoked? I'm running a 90 gallon and 70 gallon filter on the tank.

I attached my current setup. 55L

Attachments

• IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 33

fallfever

You have plenty of space and filtration. I'd even add more cories, danios and platys. However, I'd avoid the raphael in a community tank with small fish. I haven't done it myself because of the size of the cat but I'd be anxious with him in there.

Upvote 0

kavetradarnell

ok thanks I was kind of anxious about that guy as well. So what I need is a mid-level shoaling/schooling fish. I may add 6 more danios. Can I add a betta with the Gourami or would there be too much aggression? I want to add loaches but dont want to be bothered with ICH. Are there any loaches with scales?

Upvote 0

fallfever

Bettas with gouramis is a bad idea in general. I've never had issues with ich with loaches, but in a community tank a large group of kuhli loaches would look great and are your safest bet. I agree with you about middle schoolers/shoalers, but there are so many tetras/rasboras that would fit that you can simply choose a favorite.

Upvote 0

kavetradarnell

Will the Kuhli help clean up after the Pleco? How many should I get? Im kinda iffy on Rasboras they seem to die to easily to me. I'm going to eventually upgrade the 70 gallon filter to a 110 gallon filter all for the pleco and I may get a UV light.

Upvote 0

fallfever

You'll have to clean up the poop of the pleco yourself :) At least six to eight khulis if you want to see them and any midwater tetra will work. The kuhlis will eat anything on the bottom usually after the lights go out but do need sinking tablets or pellets like any other bottom dweller. And I've never used UV lights, though some folks swear by them. Weekly water changes and monitoring water parameters periodically have kept my tanks clean.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

kavetradarnell , welcome to the forum!

I like the idea of khuli loaches, I keep them in our 65g community tank. If they are given a lot of places to hide or to have cover, it makes them feel safe and they will actually be more active during the day. By looking at your pic, there should be plenty of cover for them.

They are very entertaining for such a small fish and like to be kept in a shoal. I suggest to stock no less than 6-8, and consider keeping 10-12. They are very social and mine interact with each other a lot.

A 55g is large tank and can support a lot of fish.

You mentioned increasing the corys to 6. Thay is a good idea as well. They also like to be in a group. 6-8 would be a good minimum to keep in a 4ft tank.

I cant tell what filter is on the right, but the one on the left looks like a Top Fin Silenstream 75 with the side-by-side reservoirs. I like those filters and have one on our 65g community tank.

I like them because the reservoir that holds the media is so large.

Instead of running the cartridges, I inserted blocks of foam sponge into them. They catch a ton if muck comapred to the cartridges and are reusable.

I can post a pic later if you want, and a link to a thread on the forum that gives examples and pics of how to add your own media to a filter.

Upvote 0

kavetradarnell

Yes thats what it is a topfin and a aqueon. I did the same thing I actually refitted the inside and turned them both into bio-filters, sponge layer,biomax layer, Carbon Layer, ammonia remover layer and then a polisher on top of both. I know I could have done the same thing with a AC filter but I have found that sand burns them out to much. Not ready for a canister filter yet so I just refitted the HOB filters. Also wonder if I can get away with a DWARF ACARA CICHLID with my Dwarf Gourami.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

It sounds like you are all set in regards to filtration.

I have an electric blue acara in our 65g community tank and I have never seen it bother its tankmates, but individual fish are always different. Never kept a dwarf acara so Im not sure if they have similar temperament.

Upvote 0

kavetradarnell

Ok so this is my final stock 55 gallon

9 octos
7 micky mouse platy (6 of them are babies and only there temoporarily they will be going to new home)
8 cory
8 zebra danio
1 bristlenose
1 dwarf Gourami
1 Angle Fish
10 rummys
4 mystery snails

is this too much?

Upvote 0

Islandvic

I think that will be a good looking community tank

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Great group. Glad to see you dropped the sailfin for a bushy nose. The platies will bred like crazy and you should wait about 6 months for the ottos they need an established tank to live in. They need algae and bio-film to eat. Also 9 is to many try 4-6.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bettafairy
  • Question
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views