Stocking for 37 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Crelus26, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Crelus26New MemberMember

I'm currently planning on purchasing a 37 gallon tank for my existing tiger barbs, as well as some more in order to create a proper school. I also was wondering if I could put in a cory catfish or two- if so, what should my stocking be?
    I want to put in a maximum of 10 tiger barbs and 2 cory cats.
    I could probably either have:

10 barbs, 0 cats
    9 barbs, 1 cat
    or 8 barbs and 2 cats.

This sound reasonable?

2. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Tiger barbs are rather nippy and aggressive fish. People suggest to keep them in schools of at least 8. That being said, I think they would be a bit too aggressive for cories. I haven't kept cories with tiger barbs (well, I haven't kept tiger barbs altogether) The advice I'm giving is based on other members' experiences. Cories should also be in large groups. I like to keep at least 6 cories so they have company. In the wild, they are found together by the thousands. I think a tiger barb species tank would be a cool idea. A tank full of tiger barbs. Maybe 15 tiger barbs? Are you absolutely set on tiger barbs? You could have a peaceful community if you aren't.

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

4. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

You could try more aggressive fish like a single convict, it would keep the barbs at bay;)

5. Crelus26New MemberMember

I already have a small tank of Tiger Barbs, so I guess I'm kind of stuck with them. :p
    Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I think around 15 tiger barbs would actually look quite nice.

6. Crelus26New MemberMember

..Huh.
    Crayfish and tiger barbs? What a stunningly odd combination. At the same time, I don't think it will really fit in the the ethos of my tank, I guess it's a species-only for me!

7. Crelus26New MemberMember

At the same time, I hear that keeping tigers in larger groups tones down their aggression to other fish. Could I make it work if I gave said cories some places to hide?

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It can, but it is in no way a guarantee. It could also mean more nasty fish. I gave the corys a cave to hide in - they never came out.

9. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Possibly, though I'd have a backup tank if it doesn't work out.

10. Crelus26New MemberMember

Fair enough.

11. Crelus26New MemberMember

I certainly know what you mean. I introduced a small plecostomus into my tank a while back, he/she was never seen again.

12. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Well, not quite the same thing. Plecos are often nocturnal and have a tendency to hide. Corys don't - they shouldn't be hiding.

13. Crelus26New MemberMember

Either way, that's beside the point. Okay, the agenda should be:
    A nice sandy substrate for the cories with some live plants, as well as a hollow bit of driftwood for them to hide in, as well as my old tank on standby in case anything goes wrong. I think my maximum stocking would be 10 tigers and 4-5 cories. A group of 10 tigers should cut down on their aggression with other fish, but it's not a sure thing.

14. Crelus26New MemberMember

Anyways, I just have one more question: How many of each should I keep for a 37 gallon tank? I know that both cories and tiger barbs need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, but exactly how many should I keep of each?
    10 tigers and 5 cories?

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I would do 10-15 tigers and 6-10 corys, depending on the species.

16. Crelus26New MemberMember

For a 37 gallon tank? Hm, I thought I'd only be able to keep 5 cories and 10 barbs...
    Hm, I should probably just go for 6 cories and 12 barbs, that should create quite an interesting display. Either way, thanks for the suggestions! :3

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It's easier to add a few more than get rid of a few :)

18. Crelus26New MemberMember

I'd certainly say so!
    Speaking of size, which kind of cory species should I get? I'm kind of considering either albino cories or peppered ones, I think that would accent the floor of my tank quite well!

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

In my experience, corys are pretty much all the same. I would not get emerald corys though, as they are not corys and will grow too large for the tank. Albino corys are either bronze or peppered. I also would NOT get long/high fin varieties - that's just asking for trouble.

20. Crelus26New MemberMember

Yep, that would not end well. Thanks for the suggestions either way, I'll give you some updates later when the tank finally comes into play!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice