Stocking for 29G

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys, I have been using the aqadvisor to think of possible stockings for my tank but I recently read on here that it is inaccurate. I have a 29G (30long, 12wide, 18tall) that is currently empty. I want to get some Zebra Danios as my only top level fish then either a ghost shrimp or a school of cory catfish for the bottom. Does anyone know what number of these fish I can have in there? I know Danios should be kept in at least 6 and cories in at least 4. I am new to the hobby so I don't want it to be near overstocking because that will be harder to maintain.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of cories are you looking at? Not all are ideal candidates for this size tank as they get a decent size.

You can probably do 10 danios, 8 smaller variety cories, some ghost shrimp,and maybe add a trio of platy or something to spend more time in the middle area of the tank

OP
F

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
e_watson09 said:
What kind of cories are you looking at? Not all are ideal candidates for this size tank as they get a decent size.

You can probably do 10 danios, 8 smaller variety cories, some ghost shrimp,and maybe add a trio of platy or something to spend more time in the middle area of the tank
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at 'Green Cory Catfish' at Petsmart. They don't look too big. They look a bit brown so I am not sure if they are the emerald green ones or not.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, ‘green’ corys at Lfs are more often than not C. aenus which are one of the larger species getting a good 3” & more. If you’re having zebra danios then panda corys or trilineatus (usually sold as julii) would be a good choice as they don’t get quite so large, around 2-2.5”

OP
F

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
Hi, ‘green’ corys at Lfs are more often than not C. aenus which are one of the larger species getting a good 3” & more. If you’re having zebra danios then panda corys or trilineatus (usually sold as julii) would be a good choice as they don’t get quite so large, around 2-2.5”
Thanks for the info! Is the problem that the bigger cories will fight with the danios? I am a little afraid that the danios are going to pick on the cories because I heard they can be a little aggressive.

OP
F

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishGirl115 said:
My peppered corys only chase my male guppies once in a while because the guppies pester them.
Interesting, I would've never thought! So it is better they are the same size then so no one will bully.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corys are very peaceful & as long as you give them some cover, plants, driftwood etc then they can get out of the way of the danios if they need too, though the danios if you have a group of them shouldn’t really bother the corys

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishBeginner2020 said:
Interesting, I would've never thought! So it is better they are the same size then so no one will bully.
It shouldn't be a problem. The corys never hurt the guppies. Just chase them off.

New Threads