Stocking for 29 gallon riaprium (only 10 gallons of water)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Erica0107, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Erica0107

Erica0107 Valued Member Member

Hi. I'm going to be setting up my old 29 gallon tank again, but I'll be setting it up as a riparium. Based on where I plan to have the water level, there should be about 10 gallons of water. I would like to stock it with threadfin rainbows and possibly a very small bottom dweller such as yunnanilus cruciatus or maybe just shrimp. But I'm not sure how to stock since there will be a 30X12 footprint, but only 10 gallons of water. How would you stock this tank?

2. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

Some Pygmy Cories and some sort of small Shrimp would be awesome in a tank that low, and they would love it probably.

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Riaprium... I have never heard of this before... what is it?? And pygmy cories and something like RCS or one of their other colors would do nice in that water level :)

4. RandomZoid

Haha thinking alike before you saw my post? or just affirming my advice?

A riparium is basically an aquarium where the top half is not filled with water so that plants can grow out of the water, sometimes it includes bugs or insects as well as fish.

Here's a nice looking one I found in google images.

15-VII-09-tank-II-lighter-946-web-I.jpg

5. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Oh that's cool... my creeds would love something like that!

And i was thinking along the same lines as you were :) only I would do something like black neons and a couple snails and the shrimp :) dud you could do a biotope ;) hint hint

6. OP
    OP
    Erica0107

Thanks for explaining what a riparium is RandomZoid. I guess I should have mentioned that, lol.

I'm thinking the threadfins I would like to have are too big. And I actually already added some pygmy cories to my betta tank, so I want something different for this tank. I know of quite a few nano schoolers that would work. I guess I'm just looking for something that has a unique look to it such as the threadfins, but so far I haven't really found that in any nano species.

7. RandomZoid

Have you seen Galaxy Rasboras AKA Celestial Pearl Danios? I'm waiting on some now for my 10 gallon heavy planted tank. They stay about an inch and look awesome when fully colored, imo.

8. OP
    OP
    Erica0107

They are really pretty. They are probably at the top of my list of ideas right now.

9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Yup, I currently have some in my planted 10. They are cute little fish. They are pretty skittish though. Make sure to get some tank bred ones. Wild ones are usually super sensitive to water changes and are nearly impossible to get them to eat.

10. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Look at Australian and PNG natives. Lots of small, colourfal shoalers suitable for nano tanks. A pair of Peacock Gudgeons are cute bottom dwellers.

11. OP
    OP
    Erica0107

Oooh. I'm liking the peacock gudgeons. I'll have to do some research on them. Any suggestions on tankmates? Im not concerned about them being from the same area since the plants I'll be using wont fit into the biotope anyways. Although them being from the same area is fine as well.

12. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

Sence this will be mostly low water, how bout 4 kuhli loaches, 1 dg, and 5 neon tetras?

13. OP
    OP
    Erica0107

14. midnamoondog

midnamoondog Well Known Member Member

How about some sparkling gouramis?

15. OP
    OP
    Erica0107

Yeah, Ive considered sparkling gouramis as well. So many choices! :)

16. OP
    OP
    Erica0107

I think I'm really starting to lean towards the sparkling gouramis. Should I do species only or have tankmates? Any suggestions on numbers?

17. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

What I'm getting is that they're shrimp-killers that like to hunt in packs.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice